Sunderland AFC takeover timeline: Every claim and key milestone - one year on from #DonaldOut

It’s close to a year since Sunderland fans called for change with their #DonaldOut campaign – and plenty has happened since.

Sunday, 20th December 2020, 10:47 am
Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald

There have been a host of claims and milestones since that point and plenty of parties have claimed an interest, although the club have not yet changed hands as we approach December 27 and the one year anniversary of the fan-led call for change.

So what’s happened since the #DonaldOut campaign and where do we stand now? We take a look:

Sunderland fans launch the #DonaldOut campaign - claiming trust between the club and fanbase has ‘eroded’.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Speaking to BBC Newcastle, Stewart Donald publicly confirmed that he would pursue the sale of the club. Donald said that there had already been ‘lots of interest’, and that he expected the process to take ‘a month or two’.
Almost three months on from Donald’s original remarks, Charlie Methven discussed the takeover as he promoted the second series of Sunderland ‘Til I Die. Methven said that the COVID-19 crisis had thus far had ‘no material impact’ on takeover talks, which were ‘well progressed and productive’. He said that the ownership at this stage believed the club would change hands before the end of May.
In an interview with talkSPORT, Donald said the COVID-19 crisis had slowed the process. While he said the intention remained to sell, he also suggested that both he and Methven would like to say. Donald also said that he felt in the new landscape, he felt it would be easier for the club to compete under his ownership.
Madrox told the Echo that due to the COVID-19 crisis, the club would not be sold by the end of May and that it was ‘impossible’ to put a timescale on the sale.
Sammy Yu confirms he remains interested in purchasing Sunderland AFC having previously seen attempts fall flat. Mark Campbell’s name also enters the discussion as he continues to keep a close eye on the situation at the club.
Stewart Donald holds a heated meeting with supporters - during which he confirms the club remains up for sale with an asking price of £37.6million.
Micky Gray confirms he has been contacted by Donald in a bid to hold discussions over a takeover. However, he claims the figures he has received from the club are ‘astronomical’.
Donald stands down as Sunderland AFC chairman while confirming his focus remains on finding the right buyer for the club.
Entrepreneur William Storey claims to have made a bid to purchase the club with ‘significant funding from blue-chip backers’.
It is revealed that Sunderland owner Stewart Donald has entered a 'period of exclusivity' with a potential buyer as sale talks accelerate. Their identity was not released but it was confirmed to NOT be Mark Campbell or William Storey.
Sunderland cancel a planned structured dialogue with supporters due to the 'advancement and sensitivity of takeover talks'. Jim Rodwell confirms that the club remain in a period of exclusivity with a preferred bidder.
The Guardian report that a group led by Juan Sartori and Kyril Louis-Dreyfus (pictured, left) were in advanced stages of negotiation over a deal. Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven would retain minority stakes, with Sartori and Louis-Dreyfus taking majority control. It was suggested that the deal could be completed within a fortnight.
Jim Rodwell confirms that there remains a will on all sides to get a takeover done, and that certain documents have been lodged with the EFL. He also added that the 'seriously complex' process would 'take time'. Rodwell was speaking to the press after national reports regarding a risk of administration - something the chief executive denied.
As we approach one year since the campaign was launched, Sunderland remain owned by Stewart Donald - although the Sartori/Louis-Dreyfus deal is thought to be moving closer.
Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Sunderland AFC coverage 365 days a year. This depth of SAFC coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription to our new sports-only package here. Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor