Sunderland AFC for sale: Update on Stewart Donald’s bid to sell the club
Stewart Donald’s attempts to sell Sunderland AFC remain ongoing, with a preferred bidder yet to be identified.
The Echo understands there are various parties interested in buying the club, which has recently moved back into the League One play-off places following a seven game unbeaten run.
We also understand that at this stage no preferred bidder has been identified.
It comes after a short report in the Express over the weekend claiming FPP Sunderland were in ‘pole position’ to take over at the Stadium of Light, claiming they were ‘edging towards’ a deal.
Speaking earlier this month Donald had expressed doubt and said that he did not expect the FPP group to try and purchase Sunderland AFC though he did add ‘never say never’.
The Black Cats chairman, who was also in sale talks with Mark Campbell in the summer, is actively pursuing the sale of the club after a significant group of supporters called for his departure when the club sank to its lowest ever place in the Football League.
However, speaking to BBC Newcastle in January, Donald said he did not think that the American consortium, made up of John Phelan, Robert Platek and Glenn Fuhrman, would make another attempt to buy the club.
He said: “I think if they were going to buy it, they would have done so already. They invested the money on the basis that we would be there to oversee it.
“Their view on it is that they’re 3,000 miles away, they invest in management teams.
“Their investment was in me.
“So if I’m not there, it’s unlikely I think that they’ll want to take on. Never say never but [I think its unlikely].”
The club has previously stated that owing to ‘confidentiality agreements, there will be no further updates until a preferred bidder is identified.’
Donald has previously said he expects the process would take ‘a month or two’.
A Sunderland AFC statement on January 7 confirmed Donald was now actively looking to sell the club and made reference to the pressure from support groups.
It added: “That process has now commenced. Owing to confidentiality agreements, there will be no further updates until a preferred bidder is identified.”