Sunderland AFC news RECAP: Takeover takes a fresh twist as businessman launches bid plus defender signs deal

Sunderland and their League One rivals are still waiting confirmation of a start date for the 2020-21 campaign and if salary cap proposals will be coming in to force next season.

Friday, 24th July 2020, 6:17 pm

It has been a long wait without any football for Sunderland and their supporters but the hope is that September 12 could be the date that the action returns, with a vote set to take place.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

We’ll have the latest news, analysis and opinion on our live blog throughout the day.

Sunderland midfielder George Dobson.

Sunderland AFC transfer and takeover news LIVE: Contract latest from Stadium of Light

Last updated: Friday, 24 July, 2020, 17:01

  • The results of our Big SAFC Survey have been released - and they were damning.
  • Stewart Donald is looking to sell the club for £37.6m.

Hello and welcome to our live Sunderland AFC blog, we’ll have the latest news, analysis and opinion throughout the day. 

RAWA to convert to a Supporters’ Trust

Members of Sunderland fan organisation The Red and White Army have voted ‘overwhelmingly’ to convert to a Supporters’ Trust.

They held their extraordinary general meeting on Thursday night via Zoom and the motion was passed with no votes against.

The group, who hold regular dialogue with the club, announced last month they were to consult with members about potentially becoming a Community Benefit Association – more commonly known as a Supporters’ Trust.

The response to that was said to be ‘overwhelmingly positive’ and the motion was carried last night.

The Red and White Army tweeted: “Our Extraordinary General Meeting has voted to convert to a Trust overwhelmingly, with no votes against (couple of abstentions). Onwards and upwards. More info to follow.”

Sunderland have missed out on this player

The results were damning

He claims to have launched a bid

Energy drink tycoon William Storey claims that he has launched a bid to buy Sunderland AFC from Stewart Donald.

Storey, who is the CEO of Rich Energy, confirmed the news in a brief post on his Twitter account.

While the constraints of a non-disclosure agreement mean that Storey was unable to go into exact detail, he claimed he has attracted ‘significant funding from blue-chip backers’ to enable the bid.

His post read: “I am limited in what I can say due to NDA but I can confirm that I have made a formal legal offer for @SunderlandAFC.

"I have significant funding from blue chip backers. Sunderland are a giant of English football & their fans deserve a team to reflect that stature #SunderlandAFC.”

Update on William Storey’s bid

This from Sky Sports News: "Sky Sports News have been told Storey is yet to prove funding is in place, while Sunderland remain in talks with a number of groups over a potential sale of the club."

Football is coming back!

Sunderland’s League One campaign will begin on September 12th, the EFL have confirmed.

The Black Cats have not played a competitive fixture since March 10th due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and missed out on promotion after the 2019/20 campaign was settled on a points-per-game basis.

The campaign looks certain to begin behind closed doors, with the government’s most recent advice stating that supporters will not be allowed to return to stadia until October.

Attendances are likely to be limited when crowds do return, with capacities set to be reduced to allow for extensive precautions.

Over 10,000 Sunderland supporters have already renewed their season cards ahead of the new campaign.

Sunderland’s playing squad have been on furlough leave for a number of months, but are likely to return soon for pre-season campaign.

Tom Flanagan signs new deal

Page 1 of 1