Sunderland AFC 2021/22 fixtures RECAP: League One schedule confirmed as Cats at home on opening day
Sunderland will today learn their fixtures for the 2021/22 League One season – as Lee Johnson’s side look to gain promotion at the fourth attempt.
After defeat to Lincoln City in the play-off semi-final last season, the Black Cats will be looking to finally seal a return to the Championship this time around.
And Sunderland will today discover their fixtures for the new campaign, with the League One schedule set to be confirmed at 9am.
The draws for the Carabao Cup first round and Papa John’s Trophy group stage are also set to be made today, on a day which will see the diaries of supporters start to get filled with all the key dates!
We’ll have updates right here throughout the day, including the full list of Sunderland AFC’s 2021/22 fixtures once they are confirmed at 9am.
And we’ll also be bringing you the latest news, transfer talk and more from the Stadium of Light.
LIVE: Sunderland AFC’s 2021/22 fixture release
Last updated: Thursday, 24 June, 2021, 16:42
- Sunderland AFC’s fixtures for the 2021/22 League One season will be released at 9am this morning.
- The Black Cats will also learn their Carabao Cup (3:40pm) and Papa John’s Trophy (4:30pm) opponents later in the day.
- Lee Johnson’s side face their first pre-season on July 3 at Spennymoor Town.
- Transfer talk continues to swirl around the Stadium of Light as the club target their first summer signing.
It’s like Christmas morning, isn’t it?!
Okay, maybe not quite... but you just can’t help getting excited at fixture release day!
It means the new season is growing ever-closer and this one will be even more special than usual given that we, hope, it will herald the return of fans to the Stadium of Light.
We’ll have all the build-up to the release of the fixtures right here throughout the morning - so stick with us for the latest...
What time are all the key fixture announcements today?
Sunderland have three big announcements to look forward to today, which will come at the following times...
- League One fixtures - 9am
- Carabao Cup first round draw - 3:40pm
- Papa John’s Trophy group stage draw - 4:30pm
We already have some hints on where Sunderland will be playing on some key dates...
When does the 2021/22 League One season begin?
The League One season is scheduled to kick-off on August 7.
There is likely to be one televised EFL game broadcast on August 6, although this is expected to be a Championship fixture.
Given the Premier League fixtures that were released last week, it is likely that Sunderland will begin the League One season at home.
Ahead of fixture release day, here’s the latest League One promotion odds...
And they make good reading for fans of the Black Cats!
- SUNDERLAND – 7 / 1
- Sheffield Wednesday – 8 / 1
- Charlton Athletic – 9 / 1
- Ipswich Town – 9 / 1
- Portsmouth – 12 / 1
- Rotherham United – 12 / 1
- Bolton Wanderers – 14 / 1
- Lincoln City – 14 / 1
Sunderland have already learned two of their Papa John’s Trophy opponents
Lee Johnson’s side will face Lincoln City and Bradford City in their Papa John’s Trophy group next season.
The three teams will be joined by one of the invited U21 teams, to be drawn on Sky Sports at 4.30pm tomorrow.
They could yet face Newcastle United U21s, with the EFL dropping their previous restriction that kept the two teams apart in the group stages.
The Black Cats faced Lincoln City in the semi finals of the tournament last season, before beating Tranmere Rovers 1-0 in the final at Wembley.
Bradford City finished 15th in League Two last season, but have since poached Derek Adams after he led Morecambe to promotion through the play-offs. Sunderland will play two of their games at home, and one away from home.
This saga isn’t quite resolved yet...
Sunderland are set to face Wycombe Wanderers in League One next season - but they could yet be handed a dramatic relegation reprieve.
Here’s the full story...
Here’s Sunderland’s fixture list in full...
- August 7 - Wigan Athletic (H)
- August 14 - MK Dons (A)
- August 17 - Burton Albion (A)
- August 21 - AFC Wimbledon (H)
- August 28 - Wycombe Wanderers (H)
- September 4 - Sheffield Wednesday (A)
- September 11 - Accrington Stanley (H)
- September 18 - Fleetwood Town (A)
- September 25 - Bolton Wanderers (H)
- September 28 - Cheltenham Town (H)
- October 2 - Portsmouth (A)
- October 9 - Oxford United (H)
- October 16 - Gillingham (A)
- October 19 - Crewe Alexandra (A)
- October 23 - Charlton Athletic (H)
- October 30 - Rotherham United (A)
- November 13 - Lincoln City (H)
- November 20 - Ipswich Town (H)
- November 23 - Shrewsbury Town (A)
- November 27 - Cambridge United (A)
- December 7 - Morecambe (H)
- December 11 - Plymouth Argyle (H)
- December 18 - Ipswich Town (A)
- December 26 - Doncaster Rovers (A)
- December 29 - Sheffield Wednesday (H)
- January 1 - Fleetwood Town (H)
- January 8 - Wycombe Wanderers (A)
- January 15 - Accrington Stanley (A)
- January 22 - Portsmouth (H)
- January 29 - Bolton Wanderers (A)
- February 5 - Doncaster Rovers (H)
- February 8 - Cheltenham Town (A)
- February 12 - AFC Wimbledon (A)
- February 19 - MK Dons (H)
- February 22 - Burton Albion (H)
- February 26 - Wigan Athletic (A)
- March 5 - Charlton Athletic (A)
- March 12 - Crewe Alexandra (H)
- March 19 - Lincoln City (A)
- March 26 - Rotherham United (H)
- April 2 - Gillingham (H)
- April 9 - Oxford United (A)
- April 15 - Shrewsbury Town (H)
- April 18 - Plymouth Argyle (A)
- April 23 - Cambridge United (H)
- April 30 - Morecambe (A)
BREAKING: THE LEAGUE ONE FIXTURES ARE IN!
And Sunderland will start the 2021/22 season with a HOME GAME against WIGAN ATHLETIC.
That fixture will see the Black Cats reunited with former skipper Max Power.
That will be followed with a trip to MK DONS in the club’s first away game of the season!
Here’s some other key fixtures for the Black Cats...
- BOXING DAY - Doncaster Rovers (A)
- NEW YEARS’ DAY - Fleetwood Town (H)
- GOOD FRIDAY - Shrewsbury Town (H)
- EASTER MONDAY - Plymouth Argyle (A)
- LAST DAY OF THE SEASON - Morecambe (A)