Sunderland 4 Nottingham Forest 1

editorial image
Have your say

WITH an “all clear” on fitness after Wednesday night’s losing battle against Aston Villa, Sunderland were happy to rely upon the side which gave a fine display in that game for their home task against Nottingham Forest this afternoon. This meant that Mick McGiven did not come into consideration for a place, although he is practically over the effects of the injury which he received at Huddersfield last week.

Nottingham Forest, beaten at Millwall on Monday night, made one significant change. Bob Chapman, formerly a first team regular as sweeper, was brought in at No. 8 with George Lyall switched to the wing to the exclusion of Jimmy McIntosh. This was taken as an indication that Forest planned to load their game defensively.

Conditions were ideal with a fresh breeze not strong enough to be troublesome.

There were about 16,000 present when Kerr won the toss and decided to attack the Fulham End.

Hindley tried to send Lyall away with a long ball down the right, but Ashurst won in the air and when Kerr tried to move he was promptly brought down by Chapman.

There was a chance for Sunderland in the first minute when Tueart made space for a cross from the left, but Hughes, unmarked at the far side of the goal, sent his header well wide.

When Malone stormed out of defence he was promptly brought down by Frazer. He took the free-kick himself, but when Watson headed on, Lathan was unable to reach the ball.

A neat interception by Coleman brought the ball out of defence to set up a Sunderland attack. The move broke down with Hughes in possession, but Sunderland were again quickly attacking on the right when Malone held the ball against a series of powerful challenges before sending a long ball down the wing for Watson. The centre forward’s centre was overhit, but in any event Tueart slipped in going for it and a good chance disappeared.

In the ninth minute Sunderland were back again to take the lead after further good work by Tueart. LATHAN was well placed on the left to pick up the ball, and, going wide of Hindley hit an angled drive which had Barron beaten all the way.

They were near to another goal shortly afterwards when Tueart sent the ball through for Watson, who neatly chipped it on for Lathan. Bringing the ball under control quickly, Lathan set up a shooting chance for Tueart, whose drive finished narrowly wide.

Porterfield recovered well just outside the Sunderland penalty area when Forest looked dangerous, and when Hughes weaved through on the left wing to gain a corner. Porterfield took the kick and when the ball was cleared out to Malone, he promptly returned it to the left wing.

The linesman was well placed to judge, but gave no signal and it was left to the referee to decide that Porterfield was still in an offside position.

Next came a fine break by Coleman which allowed Sunderland to go up in strength. When Coleman brought in Hughes, however, the winger’s cross was turned behind for a corner.

Sunderland went further ahead in the 21st minute with a great goal. Lathan, moving out to the right, was casual in control of the ball and appeared to have lost it as it rolled towards the line, but he managed to pull it back before driving it into the middle. PORTERFIELD was first to the ball and held off a challenge from Serella before going in close to take the ball wide of Barron before driving it home from a narrow angle.

Sunderland continued to give the Forest defence a lot of trouble, with Watson, Kerr and Tueart prominent.

When Forest eventually tried to hit back, they found Ashurst in great form. He won everything in the air and then produced a shattering tackle on McKenzie.

Play was help up while Kerr received treatment for a thigh injury.

When Malone hit a long ball down the middle, Lathan looked like winning the race, but Gemmell stretched out to drive it behind for a corner.

Porterfield’s pass back to Malone from the corner produced nothing, but shortly afterwards Frazer gave away another corner to prevent Hughes from getting the ball into the middle.

After good work by Chapman and Frazer on the left, the Sunderland defence was opened up for McKenzie to get in a shot which brought a fine save from Montgomery.

Forest were on the attack again when Coleman tripped the penalty area. From Lyall’s McKenzie near the angle of kick O’Neill headed wide.

Sunderland went three up in 42 minutes when Malone, receiving from Ashurst, chipped a great pass down the middle for HUGHES, who made a lot of space on the turn and then took the ball past Barron before shooting into an empty goal.

Lathan was unlucky to be only inches short of a through-ball from Watson with an open goal ahead of him.

Sunderland resumed in tremendous style with Porterfield sending Tueart away with an elegant pass out to the left. The winger’s drive had Barron diving frantically along his line and the goalkeeper’s clearance had scarcely reached the halfway line before Sunderland were back again.

This time shots by Tueart and Lathan were forced out and then Kerr had a 15-yard drive deflected for a corner.

Within seconds Montgomery was in action at the other end, diving to push a Chapman shot away.

Hindley had to receive attention for a knee injury and was still limping when he resumed.

A Horswill foul on Frazer gave Forest a free-kick ten yards outside the penalty area, but Gemmell’s kick presented no problems.

Porterfield worked a quick one-two with Tueart and moved away on the left, only to place his centre within easy reach of Barron.

When Kerr took a long throw-in near the corner flag, Cottam and Richardson combined to force the ball behind for a corner at the near post with Watson challenging.

Lathan opened up the Forest defence with a great through-ball for Tueart, whose low drive flashed across the front of goal and was driven out of play at the other side.

Again Kerr sent a long throw toward the middle and Barron had to go up to pull down a backward header by Cottam from just under the bar.

In the 60th minute Forest took off Lyall and sent on Robertson as substitute.

Sunderland were unlucky not to go further ahead when Lathan broke clear from a long ball down the middle and with only Barron to beat saw his lobbed shot come back into play from the angle of the bar and post.

Tueart was pushed off the ball by Hindley after Watson had headed on a clearance.

Porterfield tried to set up a chance for Lathan by sending the ball into a space to the left of goal, but Serella covered strongly as Barron came out to collect.

Sunderland were quickly back again, with Tueart cleverly beating Hindley, and then Coleman pushing the ball forward for Kerr to go clear. Kerr’s centre was turned behind for a corner which led to Sunderland going further ahead in the 74th minute.

Kerr took the kick and Watson winning in the air outside the far post headed the ball back into the middle where LATHAN side-footed it into goal from close range.

A free-kick against Watson was picked up by Gemmell, but once again Forest had problems in making progress against the Sunderland defence. After good work by Watson, neat footwork enabled Tueart to find space for a shot which had Barron moving smartly along his line to save.

Tueart was on the target again shortly afterwards but again Barron was able to cover his shot.

Hindley, who had looked Forest’s most stylish player throughout, set up the attack which led to them pulling one goal back in the 86th minute after one shot had been blocked just short of the line. RICHARDSON was in the right spot to tap it home from four yards.

SUNDERLAND: Montgomery, Malone, Coleman, Horswill, Ashurst, Porterfield, Hughes, Kerr, Watson, Lathan, Tueart. Sub: Hamilton.

NOTTM. FOREST: Barron, Hindley, Gemmell, Serella, Cottam, Frazer, Lyall, Chapman, McKenzie, Richardson, O’Neill. Sub: Robertson

Referee: Mr E D Wallace (Swindon).


LATHAN 9mins.


HUGHES 42mins.

LATHAN 74mins.



FOREST were so destroyed in the first quarter of an hour that Sunderland had this game running their way decisively from an early stage. It was attacking football from every position and good to watch, too, particularly in the first half.

Kerr, Porterfield and Tueart were the exciting players in attack with Lathan’s challenge earning him the greatest respect.

Malone, whether in defence or in striding forward, had the crown with him all the way. Forest looked a well beaten side at the finish and Sunderland were entitled to warm praise for a very capable demolition job.

Attendance 14,155.

Story taken from the Football Echo on September 30 1972.