Penalty heartache for Sunderland U18s in FA Youth Cup derby

Sunderland take on Newcastle in tonight's FA Youth Cup tie
Sunderland take on Newcastle in tonight's FA Youth Cup tie
Have your say

SUNDERLAND suffered heartache in the FA Youth Cup tonight, going down to a dramatic penalty shootout defeat to Newcastle United.

After a goalless 120 minutes, the fifth-round tie at the Stadium of Light went to penalties.

Adam Armstrong, Sean Longstaff and Dan Drennan converted their penalties for Newcastle, in front of a crowd of 1,743, including around 200 visiting fans, to book United a home tie against Chelsea.

Only Jordan Blinco converted for the home side.

The first real chance of a well-contested Wear-Tyne game came in the 26th minute when United captain Armstrong got himself into a scoring position, but his shot was easily gathered by goalkeeper James Talbot.

A couple of minutes later a flighted shot from Newcastle’s Callum Roberts dropped wide of Sunderland’s right-hand post

But the best chance of the half fell to impressive Sunderland winger Rees Greenwood, whose 32nd-minute shot from the left was just beyond the far post.

Jordan Blinco forced a save from Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman three minutes later.

Armstrong tried an audacious effort from the centre centre with Talbot off his line as the break neared, but his shot dropped harmlessly wide of the home goal.

Greenwood pulled the ball back for Daniel Wright early in the second half after a great run down the left, but the forward’s side-footed effort was wide of Woodman’s goal.

Talbot stopped a shot from Armstrong as the hour-mark approached, and Sunderland coach Elliott Dickman replaced Dylan McEvoy with Luke Molyneux.

Blinco put a shot high and wide as the half wore on, and United defender Kyle Cameron superbly blocked a shot from Wright, who had got past Woodman.

Woodman got a hand to an effort from Andy Nelson as Sunderland pressed for a late breakthrough, with United visibly tiring.

Blinco shot wide before the game went into extra-time.

Talbot turned a shot from Roberts wide in the first period of extra-time, and Armstrong was denied a shot on goal by a block late in the second period.

Roberts forced a save from Talbot with the final kick of extra-time.

Of Sunderland’s penalty-takers, only Blinco scored, with Dan Casey, Ethan Robson and Elliot Embleton failing to find the back of the net.

Armstrong, Longstaff and Drennan all converted their spot kicks to put Kevin Richardson’s side through.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

SUNDERLAND: Talbot; J Robson, Colquhoun, Ledger, Hume (Casey, 95); Greenwood, E Robson, McEvoy (Molyneux, 65), Blinco; Wright; Nelson (Embleton, 107). Subs not used: Lowrie, Purvis.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Woodman; Cobain, Newberry, Cameron, Laidler; Barlaser (Broccoli, 101), Drennan; Roberts, Longstaff, Ward (Heaney, 76); Armstrong. Subs not used: Holmes, Harker, Pollock.

Bookings: Hume 38, Ledger 63, Armstrong 78, Roberts 90, Cobain 111, Woodman 120

Referee: R Joyce

Attendance: 1,743