Nigel Clough gives fresh update on Sunderland target Liam Boyce's future

Nigel Clough says Burton Albion have rejected a bid from striker Liam Boyce.

Saturday, 11th January 2020, 6:29 pm
Updated Sunday, 12th January 2020, 3:05 pm

The identity of the club is not known, but Sunderland are keen on bringing in the Northern Ireland international this month.

Boyce is out of contract in the summer and though the Brewers are keen on offering him fresh terms, they will consider a sale before the end of the window if he does not commit.

Phil Parkinson has already moved to bring in Kyle Lafferty on a short-term deal.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Burton Albion striker Liam Boyce

Boyce’s versatility and experience in League One and the Championship means he fits the bill.

Speaking after the 1-0 win over Fleetwood, Clough said: “It’s the same with everybody here that if a club comes in with the right offer then we look at it,” he said.

“That hasn’t changed in 20 years. We have had a bit of interest generally and one bid we have rejected. That’s as far it has gone so far.”

Boyce was initially left out of the side on Saturday, but came off the bench to provide a superb assist for Ryan Edwards’ late winner.

Before the game, coach Andy Garner confirmed a minor injury had also played a part in that decision.

“He has been on the treatment table all week and there has been a bit of speculation about him, which we will have to see next week.”

Parkinson has confirmed that Sunderland are not pursuing a deal for Gary Madine.

The striker was released by Cardiff City on Thursday evening, with many predicting a reunion with Parkinson at the Academy of Light after the pair worked together at Bolton Wanderers.

But the Sunderland chief has confirmed that the striker won’t be heading to Wearside as things stand, with attacking competition already rife.

“Not at the moment with Gaz,” he said, when quizzed on the rumours.

“We’ve brought Lafferty in and we’ve got Charlie, Griggy and McNulty, so we’re starting to build some good competition at that top end.”

Parkinson, meanwhile, confirmed that the Black Cats would resume their hunt to bring in new faces in the early part of this week.

“We’re more or less set in terms of players we want to bring in,” he added.

“I wouldn’t imagine over the weekend, but we’ll be working on things early next week.”