Arsenal v Sunderland: Red and Whites’ FA Cup third round record down the years

Steven Fletcher fires in a shot in Sunderland's 1-0 third round win over Leeds United last year
Steven Fletcher fires in a shot in Sunderland's 1-0 third round win over Leeds United last year
Have your say

Sunderland head to Arsenal with a much-changed team for tomorrow’s tough FA Cup third round tie against holders Arsenal, who are looking to lift the famous trophy for a third successive year.

Here, we look back on Sunderland’s third-round performances over the last 22 years.

2015: SAFC 1 Leeds Utd 0

Leeds produced a fighting display, with Rodolpho Austin impressive in midfield, but Sunderland, despite six changes by Gus Poyet, deservedly progressed with a single-goal victory. Left-back Patrick van Aanholt marked his return from injury with the only goal, firing a low, left-foot strike behind Marco Silvestri from just outside the box in the 33rd minute. Leeds almost grabbed a replay in stoppage time, but Liam Cooper’s effort rattled the post.

2014: SAFC 3 Carlisle Utd 1

Sunderland had to scrap to send their League One visitors packing. Adam Johnson curled in a fantastic free-kick to give Sunderland the lead 10 minutes before the break, but Carlisle delighted their big support by levelling on 43 minutes, with Matty Robson driving a fierce effort in off the bar. Sean O’Hanlon shanked a clearance into his own net to restore the home lead, then El-Hadji Ba marked his debut with a third Sunderland goal in the final minute, finishing off a pass from Jozy Altidore.

2013: SAFC 0 Bolton 2

Sunderland slumped to a miserable replay defeat to Dougie Freedman’s Championship side, with Marvin Sordell scoring twice in nine second-half minutes, including a penalty. in the original game, Martin O’Neill’s side rallied from 2-0 down to draw, with Connor Wickham and Craig Gardner on target, following efforts from Chung-Yong Lee and Sordell.

2012: Peterborough 0 SAFC 2

Sunderland maintained their revival under new boss Martin O’Neill securing a third straight win in a televised tie at London Road. Peterborough put up a good fight in the first half, but there was only going to be one winner once Seb Larsson broke the deadlock three minutes into the second half. Winger James McClean added a decisive second goal 10 minutes later.

2011: SAFC 1 Notts County 2

One of Sunderland’s most abject FA Cup performances in recent decades saw Notts County, from the bottom tier, run out deserved winners at the Stadium of Light. Sunderland were poor from start to finish, never able to handle experienced visiting striker Lee Hughes.

Keeper Simon Mignolet, who collided with Kieran Richardson, dropped a high cross from Craig Westcarr, under pressure from Hughes, as Notts grabbed a fifth-minute lead.

Mike Edwards narrowly missed out before Hughes made it 2-0, firing home a precise shot from an acute angle.

Darren Bent replied with a late penalty, after Andy Reid was felled by Ricky Ravenhill, but there was no great escape in the final nine minutes.

2010: SAFC 3 Barrow 0

Non-league Barrow made life tough for Sunderland, but the Black Cats eventually ran out comfortable 3-0 victors.

Barrow had a couple of chances, thrilling their big travelling support, before falling behind to a Steed Malbranque goal in the 17th minute, the midfielder finishing well with a low shot into the bottom corner, from a flick by Fraizer Campbell.

Sunderland only breached the Cumbrians’ defence a second time in the 52nd minute, Campbell scoring his first goal for three months, heading home an inswinging Daryl Murphy free-kick.

Campbell set the seal on Sunderland’s win six minutes later, nodding home a right-wing Phil Bardsley centre.

Striker Ryan Noble and left-back Michael Liddle were both handed their debuts a second-half subs.

2009: SAFC 2 Bolton 1

Sunderland reached the fourth round for the first time in three years, deservedly beating their Premier League rivals. Kenwyne Jones headed home a Kieran Richardson cross to make the breakthrough on 35 minutes, and Djibril Cisse doubled the lead, volleying home Carlos Edwards’ centre before Ebi Smolarek came off the bench to throw Bolton a lifeline with a deflected strike.

2008: SAFC 0 Wigan 3

Roy Keane paid the price for a host of changes as Premier side Sunderland were well beaten by their First Division visitors. Paul Schooner gave Wigan the lead on 18 minutes, with a Paul McShane own goal and a David Cotterill strike sealing a well-deserved away success, a disappointing first start to his second half-season loan for defender Jonny Evans.

2007: Preston 1 SAFC 0

A week after losing by a single goal to Preston in the league at home, Roy Keane’s Sunderland crashed unceremoniously out of the FA Cup at Deepdale. On Jonny Evans’ debut, on loan from Manchester United, Sunderland fell behind to Brett Ormerod’s 31st-minute strike and were always up against it once Liam Miller was red-carded six minutes later. Carlos Edwards made his debut as a second-half sub.

2006: SAFC 3 Northwich Victoria 0

Sunderland, on course for a dismal 15-point Premier League relegation zone, made hard work of knocking out non-league Northwich Victoria. Kelvin Davis had to make three vital saves to deny the gallant visitors, but Neill Collins drove home the opener after a Tommy Miller shot was blocked. Dean Whitehead and on-loan French man Anthony Le Tallec gave the scoreline a slightly flattering look.

2005: SAFC 2 Crystal Palace 1

Sunderland came from behind to see off their Premier League visitors. Neill Collins put through his own goal in the 40th minute, knocking the ball past Thomas Myhre as Andy Johnson gave the home defence problems, but Andy Welsh’s excellent, curling free-kick soon levelled matters and Marcus Stewart confirmed the First Division hosts’ victory with a cheekily chipped penalty after being fouled by Fitz Hall.

2004: SAFC 1 Hartlepool Utd 0

Julio Arca was the hero, hitting the only goal of a close-fought tie eight minutes into the second half to silence a 9,000-strong visiting support. The Argentinian, who earlier hit the post, got on the end of a long ball forward and fired a low strike past keeper Jim Provett. Eifion Williams and Paul Robinson both went close late on for Pools.

2003: SAFC 2 Bolton 0

Howard Wilkinson’s side were just about to embark on their 15-match losing streak to end the Premier League season.After a 1-1 draw at the Reebok, when Kevin Phillips levelled Michael Ricketts’ opener, Sunderland secured victory in extra time in the replay, with Julio Arca and Michael Proctor on target. The game marked the debuts of Argentinian misfit Nicolas Medina, his only appearance after a £3.5million move from Argentinos Juniors, and youngster Sean Thornton. Medina, almost needless to say, was substituted, albeit only at the end of 90 minutes.

2002: SAFC 1 West Brom 2

Big disappointment for Peter Reid’s Premier League side as First Division visitors West Brom eased to a surprisingly comfortable victory. Kevin Phillips fired Sunderland in front on 12 minutes, but Neil Clement’s penalty and an Andy Johnson strike turned it around, with the hosts unable to cope with Albion frontman Jason Roberts.

2001: Crystal Palace 2 SAFC 4

Sunderland were poor in the original home tie, which ended goalless and saw Stan Varga sent off, along with Palace’s Hayden Mullins. They fell behind to a Clinton Morrison goal in the Selhurst Park replay, but reliable Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips scored within a minute late in the second half to put Sunderland ahead. Steve Thomson levelled to force extra time, but further efforts from Phillips and Kevin Kilbane sealed a fourth-round date with Ipswich.

2000: SAFC 1 Portsmouth 0

The third round was played in December, bizarrely, and First Division visitors Pompey put up a stuffy display to nullify Peter Reid’ top-flight high-fliers. A single Gavin McCann strike, midway through the first half, proved decisive.

1999: Lincoln City 0 SAFC 1

Sunderland, enjoying their march to the First Division title, scraped past Lincoln City to reach the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Peter Reid’s men never displayed their league form against a gallant home side, but a single goal saw off the Third Division side, midfielder Gavin McCann - an early replacement for injured left-back Martin Scott - netting in the 16th minute.

Sunderland finished with only 10 men, following a second yellow card for Darren Williams a minute from time.

1998: Rotherham Utd 1 Sunderland 5

Kevin Phillips enjoyed a personal triumph in his first FA Cup tie as a Sunderland player, netting the visitors’ first four goals in a convincing win away to Ronnie Moore’s Millers. Phillips netted on 15 minutes, then struck again on 55, 72 and 76, with Darren Garner having cut the deficit to 2-1. Niall Quinn hit the fifth goal.

1997: SAFC 0 Arsenal 2

Dennis Bergkamp scored a fabulous opening goal, a minute into the second half, to set up Arsenal’s replay success in the last ever FA Cup tie at Roker Park. Stephen Hughes added the killer second goal 20 minutes later, avenging a 1-0 league defeat four days earlier. In the original cup game at Highbury, Sunderland were well worth their draw, with Michael Gray’s 20th-minute strike cancelling out John Hartson’s early opener.

1996: SAFC 1 Manchester Utd 2

Peter Reid’s gallant First Division fighters were cruelly knocked out by Manchester United, with Andy Cole grabbing a last-minute replay winner. Phil Gray put Sunderland ahead midway through the first half, and the lead was held until Paul Scholes struck on 71 minutes. Sunderland had been even more impressive in the original game, leading 2-1 to delight a massive travelling support with memorable efforts from Steve Agnew and Craig Russell, after trailing to Nicky Butt’s early strike, before Eric Cantona equalised late on.

1995: Carlisle Utd 1 Sunderland 3

Sunderland despatched the Cumbrians for the second year in a row, again winning the replay after a 1-1 Roker Park draw. Gordon Armstrong struck twice inside 18 minutes to settle the Red and Whites’ nerves, and Phil Gray added a killer third soon after Dean Walling got Carlisle back to 2-1. In the first game, Craig Russell’s opener was cancelled out by a 78th-minute Simon Davey strike.

1994: Carlisle Utd 0 Sunderland 1

Lee Howey grabbed an extra-time replay winner as Mick Buxton’s First Division Sunderland were made to struggle for a second game against their lowly Cumbrian hosts. Carlisle brought a big support of around 6,000 to Roker Park for the first game, in which Derek Ferguson’s opener was levelled by Darren Edmondson 10 minutes from time.

Follow the Arsenal-Sunderland clash on our matchday blog from noon-6pm tomorrow