Ryhope CW rev up for cup final challenge

Have your say

RYHOPE CW will meet Willington in the final of the Wearside League Cup after both sides won by the odd goal in three in Saturday’s semi finals.

The Wearsiders were taken to extra time by Marske United, who went ahead on 33 minutes as Michael Mackin headed past goalkeeper James French.

Martin Metcalfe levelled midway through the second period, driving his shot wide of Justin Hutchinson and in the second period of extra time Richard Jordan struck the winner.

Willington will be playing in a final for the first time in almost four decades.

Jason White was a fifth-minute marksman at home to Jarrow, who equalised almost immediately through Nick Pain.

The South Tynesiders had Daryl Donnell sent off and it was not until two minutes from the end that Dean Hanson clinched Willington’s passage into the final.

With their nearest rivals on cup duty, Easington Colliery aimed to stretch their lead at the top, but Darlington Cleveland Bridge were the winners at Welfare Park.

Danny McLachlan and Michael Carter had them two goals up inside 25 minutes and though Dale Crawford threw the Colliers a lifeline on the stroke of half-time, Easington were unable to produce an equaliser.

Houghton Town’s defensive frailties were again in evidence when they conceded five to Redcar Athletic, whose marksmen were James Kesterton (2), Richard Playforth (2) and Billy Millington. Michael Curtis and Ian McPherson replied.

Annfield Plain were another side to score five times, this time at Kirkbymoorside, who led at the interval courtesy of Ryan Cooper.

The visitors dominated the second period and goals flowed from Stephen Kirkbride, with a brace, John Armstrong, John Clarke and Dominic Elliott.

Boldon CA scored twice in the last 20 minutes through Shaun Reay and Finbar Lynch to defeat bottom-of-the-table Prudhoe Town and despite scoring first, second-bottom Coxhoe Athletic suffered defeat at Hartlepool.

Danny Hatton raised Coxhoe’s hopes before Kyle Anderson, Shaun Atkinson and Carl Wood responded.

Craig Padley and Ryan Hall were Cleator Moor Celtic’s match-winners against Wolviston, for whom Ryan Hebb equalised, and an only goal from Alan Blair was sufficient for Windscale at Stockton Town.