Over-40s League: Last-gasp Grieves seals promotion for The Philadelphia in Wingate drama

The Philadelphia enjoyed a promotion party after coming from behind to rescue a 2-2 draw against Wingate Cons.

Friday, 27th May 2016, 12:45 pm
The Philadelphia (red and black) in action against Hartlepool Stag & Monkey earlier in the season

The sides went into the game level on points, but Phili crucially having a superior goal difference, meaning the visitors had to win to claim the third promotion spot in Division Three.

Phili enjoyed the perfect start, going ahead in the second minute when Alan Jones unleashed a left-footed shot which beat the keeper and crept in the left corner of the net.

Wingate levelled just before half-time, with Paul Bestford latching on to a long goal kick and placed his shot past the advancing keeper.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Terrence Wright quickly doubled the agony for The Philadelphia, picking up a loose ball on the edge of the area and thumping home a fierce shot.

Phili changed formation to try to save the game, but Wingate looked like holding out and even went close to a killer third goal, onlyu for home keeper Brian Teasdale to pull off two magnificent saves.

A series of free-kicks tested Wingate’s goalie, but the visiting defence stood firm until a minute from time when they failed to clear an Andrew Bainbridge set piece and Mickey Grieves was on hand to ram the ball home from eight yards to seal promotion.

Champions Blue House – who boast the top goal-scorer in the league, 48-goal Gary Shields, signed off with a 3-3 thriller against Richmond Town to finish nine points clear after runners-up Wallsend Winstons were beaten 1-0 by Houghton Cricket.

Wearmouth CW secured the First Division championship with a 3-0 success against relegated Pelton Crown Inn, their 21st win out of 26 games in a magnificent campaign.

Marden clinched the Premier Division title thanks to a 4-1 victory at Tudhoe Black Horse in their final match, pipping Hartlepool Touchdown on goal difference.

Dubmire finished well in Division One, winning 2-1 at Ferryhill Greyhound and drawing 2-2 with Washington Sandpiper to end seven points clear of the drop zone.

The last final of the season was won by Hartlepool Touchdown, who beat Cramlington Burton House 2-1 at Wearmouth CW to lift the Kenny Ball Cup, with Lee Crosby and Andy McKenna on target either side of an Aubrey Rutherford strike.

The league hold their presentation night in Mill View club tonight.

Roll of honour

Premier Division winners Marden; runners-up Hartlepool Touchdown

First Division winners Wearmouth CW; runners-up Heaton Stannington

Second Division winners Thornley Celtic; runners-up Seaham Marlborough

Third Division winners Blue House; runners-up Wallsend Winstons

Fourth Division winners Newcastle East End; runners-up New Marske Sports Club

Austin Elliott Cup winners Cramlington Burton House; runners-up Marden

Kip Watson/Villa Real Cup: Cancelled

Robson Pattison Cup winners Cramlington Burton House; runners-up Tudhoe Black Horse

Alan Spedding Cup winners Heaton Stannington; runners-up Dubmire

Ironside Cup winners Seaham Marlborough; runners-up Thornley Celtic

Echo Cup winners Wallsend Winstons; runners-up Blue House

Billy Lorraine Cup winners New Marske Sports Club; runners-up Ivy Legends

Kenny Ball League Cup winners Hartlepool Touchdown; runners-up Cramlington Burton House

Referee of the year: Paul Burt

Highest total goals: Gary Shields, 48 (Blue House)

Outstanding service: Ken Redfearn

Outstanding veteran: Terry Bean (Billingham Vets)

Outstanding players, Premier Division: Lee Crosby (Touchdown)

Div One: Steven Preen (Heaton Stannington)

Div Two: Victor Holt (Seaham Marlborough)

Div Three: Gary Shields (Blue House)

Div Four: Paul Burke (Newcastle East End)

Secretary of the year: David Brien (Colonel Prior)

Player of the year: Aubrey Rutherford (Cramlington Burton House)

Manager of the year: Andy McKenna