Over-40s League: Grindon Griff stuns Steels with four-goal super show

First Division Grindon Broadway caused an upset in the Kenny Ball Cup, knocking out Premier strugglers Steels King Bros.

Friday, 15th April 2016, 5:00 pm
Colonel Prior (maroon) battle against Stanley Ball Alley last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady

Paul Griffiths was the hero, hitting all four goals, with Steels unable to handle “Grindon Griff”.

Griffiths made the breakthrough on 20 minutes, but Brett Cummings equalised five minutes later.

Grindon continued to look the more dangerous side and again took the lead, after 32 minutes, with Griffiths on target. He then beat two defenders before slotting home for his hat-trick.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steels reduced the arrears when Dareen Cassidy sent a long ball into the penalty area and the visiting centre-half, in trying to clear the ball, headed into the roof of his own net.

A recovery looked on the cards, but Griffiths clinched Grindon’s victory, netting his fourth after good work from Steven Ridley and Geoff Moon.

Grindon now meet Cramlington Burton House, 6-1 winners against Red House WMC, in next week’s quarter-final.

First Division promotion chasers Washington Sandpiper put up a brave show only to lose 1-0 to Premier leaders Hartlepool Touchdown, Andy McKenna firing home the only goal from the edge of the box.

Sandpiper laid siege to Touchdown’s goal in the final stages, but strong defending and a fingertip save kept them at bay.

Red House WMC exited 6-1 at Cramlington Burton House, while Ryhope Foresters were good 2-0 winners at Wallsend Community and Easington CIU were pipped 3-2 at Pelton Crown.

The Philadelphia secured a resounding 4-0 win at Woodhorn Lane to go second in Division Three.

Paul Russell played a defence-splitting ball to Alan Jones, who gratefully thumped home the opener, under the home keeper.

Woodhorn Lane responded, but Phili defended well and stormed 3-0 up with two goals in as many minutes.

Jones poked home for 2-0 after the host failed to clear a corner, then good work down the left by Martin Cowell ended with a precise pass through the defence for Russell to advance and smash home.

It was all over on the hour as left-back Dave Robinson found Jones, who clinically completed his hat-trick.

Phili also won in midweek, beating Boldon Colliery Tavern 3-1.

Rolls-Royce came out 4-2 victors in an entertaining game against Hedworthfield Red Hackle.

Hackle took a first-minute lead, but Rolls took the game by the scruff of the neck to get on top. Midfield dynamo Wayne Browell scored a corker with a 20-yard right-foot volley, before tapping home from five yards after a goalmouth scramble.

Rolls went 3-1 up when Davy Watson scored with a back-post header before keeper Paul “The Cat” Buckley denied Hackle a goal with a wonder save.

Davy White pounced on an error in defence to make it four, before Hackle scored a late consolation.

Simon “Chirpy” Chapman was Rolls’ star man, but it was a good all-round team performance after some unlucky defeats in recent outings.

Blue House won twice to go closer to the title, 1-0 at Redcar Old Boys and 6-0 at home to Willow Pond.

Oddies were beaten 4-1 at Houghton Cricket and 11-0 at Wallsend Winstons.

Wearmouth Old Boys bounced back to winning ways with a swashbuckling 3-2 Fourth Division success against Trimdon Veterans.

Much-changed Old Boys deservedly took the lead when a flowing five-man move was finished in emphatic style by Edward Brown, but Nigel Austick levelled and put Trimdon ahead with a second-half wonder strike.

Wearmouth levelled on the hour, though, as a well-placed hoof by Ian Brown eluded everyone. A brave save by veteran French keeper Patrick Lesca kept Old Boys level before Steven Green slammed home the winner in a goalmouth scramble, with 70-year-old Dave Polley’s late introduction leading to the vital third goal.

Ivy Legends beat Hartlepool Greenside 4-2 but lost 3-1 to Durham County Strollers. Colonel Prior were sunk 6-0 by Stanley Ball Alley.

The only Premier Division game saw lowly neighbours Hebburn Town and South Shields fight out a dour 1-1 draw.

Shields scored first as a defensive error allowed Gary Davies to pass the ball into an empty net, but Darren Palmer equalised.

Grindon Broadway secured a midweek victory in Division One, beating Consett 3-2 to climb to fourth place.

Peterlee Helford claimed a 3-2 derby win at Horden Sportsmans in Division Two.

Peterlee opened the scoring, but Horden were in front at the break.

Billy Scott was upended in the box and Craig Griffiths equalised with a penalty. Scott then outpaced the away defence, cut in from the right, and slotted home for 2-1, but Helford levelled and snatched a late winner from a corner.

Mill View SC lost 3-0 to fourth-top Durham Stonebridge, while Thornley Celtic moved a point behind leaders Seaham Marlborough, with four games in hand, after beating relegation-threatened South Shields Catholic Club 3-1.

The first of six cup finals is at Wearmouth CW tomorrow (10.30am), when Cramlington Burton House play Tudhoe Black Horse in the Robson-Pattison Premier Division Cup final.

There are finals each Saturday at the same venue until the Kenny Ball Cup final ends the season on May 21.