Over-40s League: Grindon Broadway switch off after first-half dominance as Dormans rise to fourth place in Division One

Grindon Broadway lost 2-0 at Dormans, who climbed to fourth place in Division One.

Friday, 4th November 2016, 8:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:01 pm
Seaham Marlborough (white) defend against Dubmire (yellow/black) at Dawdon Welfare Park last week. Picture by Kevin Brady

The first half was a very one-sided affair, as Dormans defence took a hammering for the whole 40 minutes, with Grindon missing plenty of chances, squandering enough opportunities to win a few games.

After all the pressure, in a rare appearance in the visitors’ half, Dormans broke the deadlock, with Alex Claxton scoring

Grindon never got over the shock, and they were poor in the second half, with the Teessiders hitting a clinching second goal on 70 minutes, with the visitors’ concentration levels disappearing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

From a corner, the ball hit a Grindon player then bounced straight to the feet of Lee Kelly, whose shot nearly burst the net.

Dubmire slipped to fifth after a 3-0 defeat at Seaham Marlborough. Hartlepool Gillen Arms went top, above an inactive Hylton CW, with a hard-fought 2-1 home win over Whitley Bay Seahorse.

Washington Victoria Inn did just enough to claim a hard-earned 2-1 Premier Division derby success against Penshaw Catholic Club.

Neither side could score in a frenetic first half, but Victoria grabbed a second-half lead when a great cross from Steve Jones was dropped by the goalkeeper, allowing Karl Siberry to slide the ball home.

Washington went two up after a great four-man move which ended with Justin Kirtley getting his usual goal.

Penshaw fought hard to claw the game back and made it 2-1 when Trevor Laidler thumped in a cross from Chris Moody.

Penshaw then had John Kelly sent off, with Norman Thurlbeck taken to hospital with serious injuries following a strong tackle.

Norman was later diagnosed to have a punctured lung and four ribs broken in 10 places.

Both teams have passed their best wishes to Norman for a speedy recovery.

Phil Sowerby shone for Victoria, with Jeff Tudor best for Penshaw. Referee Derrick Callaghan was also praised for his handling of the game.

Red House WMC succumbed 2-0 at Hartlepool Touchdown, pressing hard for an equaliser in the second half but being killed off 10 minutes from time.

Wearmouth CW’s stunning run ended with a 4-1 defeat at Cramlington Burton House.

Marden outgunned Wallsend Community 4-0, with keeper Joe Thompson producing a fine effort for the visitors. Steven Hart had the leaders in front before gallant Wallsend were only killed off by three late goals past stand-in keeper Jim Elliot, after the keeper went off injured. Burnett, Kirkham and Tony Healer made it 4-0.

The Philiadelphia secured a second successive draw in Division Three, but rued the loss of two late goals as South Shields Catholic Club hit back for a 3-3 finish.

Phili keeper Alan Speirs made some superb saves before his side went ahead, as Steve Jones knocked in a fantastic cross and Mickey Grieves rose up to power in an unstoppable header.

They extended their lead 10 minutes later, when Jones sent over a testing cross and Steve Spencer accepted an easy goal.

Shields rallied early in the second half, as Phili failed to clear a corner, but the visitors caught them on the break soon after, Grieves taking a stride on the edge of the area and smashing the ball past the keeper from a tight angle.

Shields, though, capitalised as Phili tired and struck twice in the final 10 minutes to level it up.

Mill View SC suffered a disappointing 3-1 home defeat to Cobblers Hall .

Cobblers forced an early corner and scored from it, and they repeated the feat five minutes later to lead 2-0 after 10 minutes.

Mill View dominated with some neat football but couldn’t find a way through a stubborn defence.

The second half started with Mill on top and the pressure told when Anthony Lavery drilled a low free-kick into the corner of the net. Mill pushed for an equaliser but we’re caught on the break when a 30-yard screamer sealed Cobblers’ win.

Leaders Pelton Crown maintained top spot with a 6-2 home win over Hartlepool Catholic Club.

Pelton started on fire and were three up in 20 minutes. Pool hit back well and hit the bar twice, but the hosts were convincing winners.

John Hogg Funerals rose to fifth-bottom spot after thumping Horden Sportsmans 5-1, Durham Stonebridge dropped to fourth place following a 1-0 loss to CSSC Darsley Park and Peterlee Helford were crushed 5-1 by Blakelaw SC.

Willow Pond suffered a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Hartlepool Stag & Monkey in Division Three.

Willow dominated early on but could not capitalise. They had a good spell in the second half too, but Kit Tipling, David Kelly and Gary Golightly had fine efforts denied by keeper Dave Newton.

Houghton Cricket Club enjoyed a day to savour with an incredible 8-5 victory at Durham County Strollers to climb to fourth-bottom spot.

Rolls-Royce were beaten 4-1 at Newcastle East End, while bottom club Oddies lost 4-2 at second-top Redcar Town. Washington JFC Biddick Inn crashed 5-0 to visitors Richmond Town.

In Division Four, second-top Ivy Legends suffered only their second defeat of the season, 3-1 at mid-table Hartlepool Tech.

First-half strikes from Andy Hogg and an own goal had Ivy in trouble, and Paul Gillies added the third.

Ivy are a point behind leaders Roseberry Grange, who were held 2-2 by lowly Durham County.

Winless Wearmouth Old Boys went down 2-1 to Sedgefield, while Colonel Prior were thumped 4-1 at Hartlepool Jacksons Arms and Oddfellows Arms were pipped 3-2 by visitors Heighington Bay Horse.

The game between Billingham Vets and Hartlepool Vets was abandoned early in the second half when Philly Ross sustained a broken leg.