Over-40s League: Finn fires Ivy Legends into cup semi-finals

Ivy Legends progressed to the Billy Lorraine Cup semi-finals thanks to an impressive 3-1 victory at Billingham Vets.

Friday, 11th March 2016, 5:30 pm
Washington Sandpiper (blue) and Easington CIU battle in the Over-40s' Alan Spedding Cup tie last week. Picture by Tim Richardson

The Teessiders’ strong defence gave Ivy problems, and Vets led when Nicolae Stanciu slid home an opener.

But Michael Clough’s well-taken penalty roused Ivy 10 minutes later and, soon after, Steve Finn capitalised on a very poor pass back to the keeper to fire Ivy in front.

Finn increased the lead early in the second half and they held firm, despite Billingham creating a few chances. In the semi, Ivy await the outcome of Durham County Strollers’ postponed tie against Heighington Bay Horse.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wearmouth Old Boys saw their dreams dashed in front of a big quarter-final crowd at Thompson Park, with Pelton Newfield running out 2-0 winners.

Wearmouth started slowly, and could have been well behind in the first 20 minutes, however they reached half-time level.

The second half was end to end, but Pelton made a 55th-minute breakthrough with a Darren Robson wonder goal which keeper Paul Rodgerson could do nothing about as he was chatting to a friend behind the goal when the ball flew past him.

Wearmouth eventually regained their composure and pounded the Pelton goal but could not get the equaliser they so richly deserved.

Then, with five minutes left, Pelton broke away and Robson notched his second to break the Old Boys’ hearts.

Daz Thompson was man of the match, with Keith Richardson (who also won the domino card in the Duck), Ian Brown and Rob “evening all” Scott also impressing.

Pelton will next face New Marske Sports Club, who pipped title rivals Newcastle East End 3-2.

Willow Pond were floored by Wingate Cons in their Echo Cup quarter-final.

Wingate started the better, on a heavy pitch, and created four good chances only to be denied by busy Willow keeper John Davis.

Willow, missing three key players, could not get it together and went 1-0 down after being hit on the break. Willow had a penalty appeal rejected when Gary Golightly was upended in the box, and things went from bad to worse as Paul Bestford and Martin Burns made it 3-0 at the break.

A cracking Stephen Allan strike extended the lead, then he completed his hat-trick for 5-0, beating Mark Redpath, who had replaced the injured Davis in goal.

Golightly grabbed a late consolation for Willow.

Blue House win 4-1 at Oddies, while Hedworthfield Red Hackle exited 3-1 at Richmond Town.

Easington CIU enjoyed a great away day, winning 5-1 at leaders Washington Sandpiper in the First Division’s Alan Spedding Cup quarter-finals.

Dubmire also won through, surprisingly edging home 3-2 against second-top Wearmouth CW.

Ruthless Thornley Celtic cruised to a four-goal lead inside 25 minutes as they outgunned Hartlepool Catholic Club 7-2 to storm into the Ironside Cup semi-finals.

Leaders Seaham Marlborough won a tough tie 3-1 at Hylton CW.

Marden beat Premier title rivals Hartlepool Touchdown 1-0 to reach the Robson Patterson Cup semi-finals. Cramlington Burton House won 3-1 at Billingham Swan.

Rolls-Royce took a while to get into their stride at Boldon Colliery Tavern, but they finished good 4-1 winners to climb to ninth place in Division Three.

Rolls broke the deadlock after 30 minutes, when Laidler pounced on a defensive mix-up to score from five yards.

Midfield dynamo Wayne Browell then got two quick goals in succession to put Rolls firmly in the driving seat. Boldon pulled a goal back, but, with two minutes to go, Browell managed to complete his hat-trick. Boldon’s centre-half flattened Thompson in the penalty box and a grateful Browell stepped up to convert from the spot.

Browell was ecstatic and celebrated as though he had won the cup, while his daughter looked on, shaking her head.

Oddfellows Arms claimed a fine victory in Division Four, beating Hartlepool Vets 2-1, after trailing inside 20 minutes, to move up to third-bottom spot.

Shildon Grey Horse also came from behind to beat Hartlepool Tech 2-1, while Colonel Prior drew 1-1 with Trimdon Vets.

Fourth-top Grindon Broadway lost 3-1 e to Hartlepool Gillen Arms in Division One, despite taking an early lead.

Coxhoe Red Lion climbed off the foot of the table, up to third-bottom, by beating North Ormesby Vets 1-0.

Mid-table Ryhope Foresters succumbed 3-0 at Darlington Shuttle & Loom in the only Premier Division game to get the go-ahead.

Bottom club Cobblers Hall boosted their survival chances in Division Two, winning 4-1 at third-bottom Peterlee Helford.