Northern League: Ryhope CW break home duck against Seaham Red Star to climb out of drop zone

Ryhope CW moved out of the bottom three in Division One of the Ebac Northern League with a dramatic 3-2 home win over Seaham Red Star last night.

Wednesday, 9th November 2016, 9:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:09 pm
Ryhope CW (red) take on North Shields earlier this season

Gary Pearson’s men produced one of their best performances of the season so far to complete a double against their near-neighbours.

Rampant Ryhope were sensationally 3-0 up within 35 minutes, thanks to goals from Lee Chapman, Richard Paxton and Nathan O’Neill.

However, in the second half, Red Star rallied strongly and two goals in 10 minutes through Paul Gardiner and Craig Lynch set up a nervy finish for Ryhope, but their defence held firm to record, their first home victoirty.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chester-le-Street dropped back into the bottom three when they lost 2-1 at home to West Auckland, who boosted their own survival push with three precious points.

Adam Burnicle opened the scoring for the visitors after 12 minutes and an hour later made it 2-0 with his second of the evening, to put West 2-0 up.

With two minutes to go, Jackie Hannah pulled one back for the Cestrians, however West held out for a crucial win.

Consett moved up into sixth position with a 1-1 draw at home to Jarrow Roofing.

Consett opened the scoring through Jordan Nellis, when he fired past goalkeeper Andrew Jennison on 21 minutes, finding the corner of the net.

Roofing equalised with seven minutes remaining, when Darren Holden’s long throw-in was headed home by Dan Kirkup, ending Roofing’s three-game league losing streak.

Ashington held Marske United to a 2-2 draw.

Ben Harmison converted a second-minute penalty to put the Colliers ahead, but Marske equalised on 16 minutes when Danny Earl tucked away a rebound,.

David Dormand fired in from close range, restoring Ashington’s lead, after Dan O’Reilly had hit the bar.

But Marske bagged a second equaliser on 75 minutes when pacy substitute James Risbrough broke free to score.

Bishop Auckland went down 2-1 at home to neighbours Newton Aycliffe, who climbed to fifth place with the victory, earned thanks to two late goals.

Bishops took the lead after just four minutes when Andrew Johnson scored following good work from Jonathan Wright.

In a dramatic last 10 minutes, Aycliffe equalised when John Campbell’s shot somehow found the net past Ed Wilczynski in the 80th minute.

Deep into injury time, Aycliffe’s Paul Garthwaite scored a last-gasp winner to claim the three points.

Tonight, Washington have a crunch bottom-six-clash at home to West Allotment Celtic, while Shildon host leaders North Shields.

Spennymoor Town climbed to within six points of top spot in the Evo-Stik League Premier Division – with three games in hand – with an excellent 3-2 win at Ilkeston last night.

Ben Morris had Ilkeston ahead, but Adam Mitchell tapped in to finish a good team move for the equaliser.

Jamie Chandler’s cracking strike and a Graeme Armstrong strike, in the 87th minute, put Moors in front, Lewis Rose replied late on, but Jason Ainsley’s side held on for all three points.