Northern League: Red Star keep up fine run, with keeper Newbrook the hero

Seaham Red Star are up to eighth in the First Division, only four points outside the top six, following a 4-1 victory over relegation-threatened Bedlington Terriers on Saturday.

Monday, 7th March 2016, 9:00 am
Northern League football action between Chester-le Street Town (blue and white hoops) and Easington Colliery. Picture by Tim Richardson

The fact that the Star named goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook as their man of the match is an indication that they were flattered by the scoreline.

Paul King and Jonathan Wright both went close at Seaham Town Park before Mark Collingwood’s side struck twice in the space of six minutes.

Robbie Bird broke the deadlock, as his shot was deflected past makeshift keeper Mark Dummett, who is normally an outfield player.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There was nothing fortunate about Star’s second goal, though. A flowing four-man move ended with Craig Lynch producing a clinical finish.

Bedlington quickly responded, with Ryan Drane applying a simple tap-in following a surging run by the dangerous Wright, but, on the stroke of half-time, Seaham claimed the crucial third goal.

David Palmer was brought down by Dummett and David Paul made no mistake from the spot.

Early in the second period, Red Star were on top, but Bedlington came back strongly and Newbrook made outstanding saves to deny King, Celso Anjos and Drane before Paul Gardiner ended any hopes the visitors harboured of making a late comeback with a late fourth goal for the hosts.

Bottom-three sides Durham City and Norton and Stockton Ancients shared the points in a thrill-a-minute 5-5 draw at Consett.

Fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the afternoon and, just when it appeared that Chris Moore’s Citizens would take all three points, they conceded an 88th-minute penalty. Thibault Charmey struck, adding to his first-half strike.

Nicky Martin rifled a hat-trick for the visitors, with Tom Colledge (3), Sam Norris and Craig Hindmarch on the mark for Durham.

West Auckland Town, who appeared doomed at Christmas, are now up to eighth from bottom and looking relatively safe.

They conceded the opening goal to Consett’s Luke Sullivan, but, after Shaun Hudson restored parity, Adam Burnicle hit the crucial winner early in the second period.

Consett manager Colin Myers resigned after the game, citing “non-footballing reasons”.

West Allotment Celtic are sixth-bottom after losing at Penrith, who were sweating defending the only goal scored by Kevin Connolly on 19 minutes.

Six First Division matches were called off because of waterlogged pitches, including Sunderland RCA’s home meeting with Guisborough and Newton Aycliffe’s visit to Washington.