Wearside League: West End into third cup final, while super Silksworth stun title chasers Hebburn

James Cook touches home Silksworth CW's opening goal against Hebburn Town Reserves on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
James Cook touches home Silksworth CW's opening goal against Hebburn Town Reserves on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Sunderland West End secured a third cup final date by outgunning hosts Richmond Town in the TWR Shipowners’ Charity Cup semi-final.

West End took the lead midway through the first half at Earls Orchard, when Lee Smith volleyed home from the edge of the area, past goalkeeper Mark Walker.

Seven minutes later, Richmond’s chances suffered a massive blow as Josh Cartledge was sent off for a poor challenge.

Late in the second half, West End scored two more goals to seal their win.

Mark Robinson tapped the ball home at the far post after 75 minutes and, with seven minutes left, Brad Forster tucked away a penalty to make it three.

Three minutes later, Richmond were down to nine men as Kalumn Holbrook was sent off following a second yellow card.

West End manager Anthony Nelson said: “Under the conditions, we played excellently we dominated the match from start to finish and everything went right for us.

“Brad Forster and Adam Drysdale were outstanding, but all the lads played really well and I’m really pleased with them all, and the result.”

West End – beaten on penalties in the Durham County Trophy final – will meet Silksworth CW in the Shipowners’ final, and will take on Wolviston in the Monkwearmouth Cup final.

In the league, Silksworth CW dealt Hebburn Town Reserves a blow in their quest for the title, securing an impressive 2-0 home success.

James Cook gave Silksworth a 15th-minute lead, when he finished off a right-wing cross from Adam Storey.

It was 2-0 on the hour mark as Cook scored his second, when he followed up a Storey shot, which was saved by goalkeeper Andy Hunter, and turned in the rebound.

Silksworth, following arguably their best league performance of the season, stayed in ninth place, but they are now just a point behind Richmond Town, in eighth, and two adrift of seventh-top Darlington Reserves.

Hebburn, three points behind Cleator Moor Celtic and now having played a game more, have a crucial home date with third-placed Redcar Athletic tomorrow night.

Fourth-top Boldon CA stayed 15 points off top spot after a surprise 2-1 defeat at home to lowly Windscale.

After a goalless first half, Lewis Jolly followed in a shot to beat goalkeeper Alan Greenan for the Cumbrians’ opener

Twenty minutes later, the visitors were 2-0 up when Matthew Sempill scored an excellent individual goal.

Shaun Carroll headed in to pull one back for Paul Mossa’s men, but the visitors held on to clinch an excellent victory which lifted them two places to fifth-bottom spot.

Stokesley SC moved out of the bottom three thanks to a comprehensive 7-2 victory at bottom club Coxhoe Athletic, their sixth win of the campaign.

Jake Matthews gave Stokesley an early lead at Beechfield Park, only for a Dylan Crook penalty to level things up just after half-time.

However, Stokesley scored four goals in 13 sensational minutes, courtesy of Craig Winter, Connor Hardman, Jake Matthews and a second from Hardman, to cruise into a 5-1 lead.

Afiq Saiful grabbed a second goal for never-say-die Coxhoe, but Stokesley finished on top as Abdul Wahab make it 6-2 and Matthews completed his hat-trick, five minutes from time.

South Shields Reserves were hammered 5-1 at Hartlepool to drop into second-bottom spot.

Jamie Tumilty was on fire with four goals for Pool, never looking back after he opened the scoring , in the 17th minute, with a low drive.

Steven Graham, however, equalised from the spot two minutes later, following a disputed penalty award.

Tumilty restored the home lead with his second goal on 27 minutes, a great effort, and he completed his hat-trick, firing in a rebound from a free-kick, midway through the second half.

A tap-in on 77 minutes gave Tumilty his fourth goal of the match, before Andy Blackburn fired home from 10 yards to add a fifth for Pool.

Leam Rangers’ home clash with Darlington Reserves was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, as was table-toppers Cleator Moor Celtic’s visit to Harton and Westoe CW.

Leam, who still have 13 league games to play, are down to third-bottom spot. They are due to visit South Shields Reserves tonight, while Annfield Plain entertain Richmond Town.