Wearside League: Silksworth into Shipowners semis as Renton seals the deal

Sunderland West End (red and white) attack against Boldon CA on Saturday. Picture by Frank Reid
Sunderland West End (red and white) attack against Boldon CA on Saturday. Picture by Frank Reid

Silksworth CW enjoyed a welcome morale-boosting win, making progress into the semi-finals of the TWR Shipowners Charity Cup.

The Wearsiders got back to winning ways thanks to a hard-earned 2-1 second round success against visitors Coxhoe Athletic.

Andrew Stobbart’s men took the lead on the half hour when David Stevens’ long-range shot found the corner of the net, but, two minutes after half-time, Shane O’Brien finished well to hall Coxhoe level.

Five minutes from time, Silksworth won it when Nathan Renton rose high to head home the winner.

Hebburn Town Reserves cruised to an emphatic 6-1 victory at Prudhoe Town to reach the second round.

Two first-half goals from Josh Houghton set them up nicely, with Dylan Nesbitt, James Wilson and Dan Maddison’s header making it 5-0. Maddison added a sixth before Ryan Lowes fired a last-minute consolation goal.

Sunderland West End exited the Total Sport Alan Hood Charity Cup, going down 7-6 on penalties to Boldon CA after a 1-1 draw at Ford Quarry.

West End, though, enjoyed the ideal start, going in front on 11 minutes, when Anthony Ross fired home from the edge of the box, giving goalkeeper Andrew Hunter no chance.

Boldon got back into the game after 28 minutes, when Aaron Burn smashed home a belter from outside the box, straight into the top corner, as the ball whistled past goalkeeper Graeme Pickering.

After a goalless second half, the match went to penalties and Boldon held their nerve to win through 7-6.

Boldon CA treasurer Tom Bainbridge said: “We played well in a close game and deserved the win overall.

“At the end, in the penalty shoot-out, all the penalties were scored and well taken, until our goalkeeper Andrew Hunter saved one, in sudden death, to put us through to the next round.”

The other second round tie saw Hartlepool stun hosts Redcar Athletic with an excellent 2-1 victory to join Boldon in the last four.

There were few chances created until the 40th minute, when, following Patrick Mulvey’s corner, Dean Cope finished well, heading firmly past goalkeeper Jordan Lowrie.

The visitors doubled their lead on 79 minutes, when a simple ball was played over the defence by Andrew Wilkinson and Jamie Tumilty slotted the ball home.

Redcar pulled one back with two minutes remaining, when Bryan Stewart fired over a cross which was deflected into his own net by Dean Cope. But Pool held on to see out the win.

Leam Rangers defeated Darlington Reserves 3-1 to win through to the first round of the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup.

The Gateshead side did it the hard way, too, after falling behind inside a minute, when Dale Milburn cut in from the left and finished well.

The equaliser came in the 17th minute when Niki Langston headed past goalkeeper Mathew Bancroft. Ten minutes later, James Wood’s strike from the edge of the box put Leam in front, and a third goal killed the tie before the interval.

In the league, Annfield Plain secured a welcome 3-2 win over bottom club Windscale.

The Cumbriand led with Ryan Byrne’s penalty, but Kieran Gohery’s shot from outside the box levelled it up.

Kieran McPherson ran through the middle of the defence to fire Plain in front. Though Lewis Jolly equalised, Carl Malpass’s 10-yard strike secured all three points for the hosts.

South Shields Reserves pipped Stokesley SC 3-2 to climb to 11th place.

Ryan Rivis’s close-range strike had Stokesley ahead, but Jordan Reed fired under keeper Andrew Jowett to level.

Logan Powell put Shields in front, but Rivis levelled from the penalty spot. Graham Stephenson smashed home Powell’s cross for Shields’ winner.

Harton and Westoe CW were thumped 6-0 at leaders Cleator Moor Celtic, with four-goal Callum Birdsall. Tom Mahone and Leigh Dunn on target.

Richmond Town enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 home win against visitors Wolviston.

Scott Ryan helped himself to a hat-trick by the 40th minute and after Famara Jatta pulled one back from the penalty spot on 78 minutes, Chris Pattison added a last-gasp fourth for the hosts.