Wearside League: Robinson and Taylor strike as West End claim impressive victory over Hartlepool

Silksworth CW (red) battle against South Shields Reserves on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Silksworth CW (red) battle against South Shields Reserves on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Sunderland West End bounced back to winning ways with a welcome victory at home to Hartlepool.

The Ford Quarry outfit moved up to 11th place on the back of their 2-0 success against a Pool team who slipped a place to seventh following their defeat.

Silksworth CW take on South Shields Reserves. Picture by Kevin Brady

Silksworth CW take on South Shields Reserves. Picture by Kevin Brady

West End had the better of the first half but could not find a way through a determined defence.

Dan Robinson made the breakthrough with a header from a corner, just a minute into the second half, before Pool had an effort cleared off the line.

Luke Taylor fired home the Wearsiders’ clinching second goal with 15 minutes to go.

Silksworth CW are coming under pressure in the fight for a fourth-place finish.

The Wearsiders’ advantage over fifth-top Boldon CA was slimmed to just two points after their 2-0 weekend loss at home to South Shields Reserves.

A tremendous strike from Guy Martin gave Shields the lead and Matthew Davidson scored the second, after 65 minutes, to clinch a comfortable win.

Boldon CA are just two points behind Silksworth, and have two games in hand, after they won 3-2 at Leam Rangers.

A hat-trick of headers from Adam Drysdale proved pivotal for Paul Mossa’s men.

Drysdale nodded home in the 15th, 75th and 85th minutes, capping an outstanding individual display at the Hilltop Ground.

Anthony Huddart and Liam McVicar bagged Leam Rangers’ games.

Ashbrooke Belford House succumbed to a third successive single-goal defeat in another goal-fest.

Following 4-3 and 3-2 defeats, the Silksworth-based side went down by the odd goal in seven at Windscale.

The Cumbrians took a 22nd-minute lead from Jordan Livingstone, but Corey Steel equalised. Livingstone’s second goal restored the home lead, but Ashbrooke came back again, with Steven Bogie on target.

The game finished in a flurry with three goals in the final six minutes.

Livingstone completed his hat-trick on 84 minutes, with Dean Fox making it 4-2, however Bogie headed in his second to cut the deficit before the end.

Second-bottom Seaham Red Star Reserves started strongly away to Stokesley SC and stormed in front in the 27th minute.

The young visiting team held their lead until the break, but five second-half goals from the North Yorkshire outfit, courtesy of Craig Winter, Anthony Barnes, Jordan Rivis (2) and an own goal, saw the hosts home in comfort.

Coxhoe Athletic went down 3-1 at home to Prudhoe Town, who extended their unbeaten run to five games.

Prudhoe took the lead through Sam Mannion and he made it two with his second goal seven minutes later.

Derek Waters hit the third to kill off Athletic, who secured a late consolation when Kyle Morris scored.

Leaders Jarrow won again, this time 2-0 at bottom club Harton & Westoe CW in a hard-fought South Tyneside derby.

Harton more than held their own, but Jarrow made the breakthrough with a 30-yard Jonny Hirst free-kick.

Stevie Graham doubled the lead eight minutes into the second period, and they saw out the victory to stay 15 points clear at the top.

Second-top Redcar Athletic won 5-3 at home to Annfield Plain.

Michael Woodhouse and Anthony Jones gave Redcar a 2-0 lead, before Gary MacKay pulled one back from the penalty spot.

Jones then made it 4-1 with two more goals to compete his hat-trick and Lewis Wood added a fifth before Carl Malpass and Daniel Lumley reduced the deficit late on.

Third-top Richmond Town won 3-1 at home to Wolviston, with Liam Darville, Sam Grainger and James Coatsworth all on target.

Earlier, Wolviston had taken the lead with a Shaun Gregory header.

Cleator Moor Celtic rose to sixth place, maintaining their fine form with an impressive 3-1 win at Darlington 1883 Reserves.

Josh Charlton gave the Cumbrians an eighth-minute lead, but Lewis Reece equalised three minutes later.

Second-half strikes from Brad Tatton and Leigh Dunn gave Cleator Moor their victory.