Wearside League: It’s Thear misery for West as Prudhoe hand out second-half humbling

Seaham Red Star (red/white) attack against Newcastle Benfield in the Northern League on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Seaham Red Star (red/white) attack against Newcastle Benfield in the Northern League on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Sunderland West End failed to build on their midweek triumph as they crashed to a 5-0 defeat at Prudhoe Town on Saturday, with all the goals coming in the second half.

Defeat made it four losses and just one for the Ford Quarry outfit since they clinched their place in the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup final on February 4.

A close-fought first half saw Barry Cook’s men still level, but Kelvin Thear stole the show at Kimberley Park, bagging four goals to inspire Prudhoe.

He started the scoring spree after 57 minutes, quickly adding a second goal three minutes later.

Kieran Barker made it 3-0 and then two further goals from Thear, in the final five minutes, completed the rout.

Seaham Red Star Reserves were beaten 4-1 by West End in midweek, and they succumbed again, going down 7-2 at rampant Coxhoe Athletic.

Two goals from Robert Thompson, Kyle Morris’s strike and a hat-trick from man of the match Ross Morrow gave Coxhoe a 6-0 lead, before Kieran Parnaby pulled one back.

Dominic Jones, though, restored the six-goal home advantage. Leon McKeith bagged a second consolation for second-bottom Seaham.

Fifth-top Boldon CA slipped eight points behind fourth-placed Silksworth CW when Andy Stobbart’s side eased to a 3-0 derby victory over Ashbrooke Belford House on Friday night.

And Boldon failed to cut the deficit on Saturday as Paul Mossa’s men succumbed to a 3-0 defeat away to Darlington 1883 Reserves.

Lewis Walton headed the Quakers in front on 20 minutes and it was 2-0 when Kurt Matthews’ shot found the net five minutes before the interval.

Matthews rounded off the scoring in the 85th minute, bagging his second goal of the game to secure a seventh win in the last eight games for seventh-placed Darlington.

South Shields Reserves were 5-2 victors at lowly Windscale.

Jordan Livingstone put the home side ahead, but Ewan Simpson equalised before half-time.

Frankie Hucks, Harry Simpson and a second from Hucks gave Shields a 4-1 lead in the second period, before Livingstone’s second of the game threw the hosts a lifeline.

But substitute Matthew Davidson sealed the visitors’ triumph, making it 5-2 in the 87th minute.

Jarrow are 15 points clear at the top.

Dave Bell’s men secured a 25th league win, thanks to a narrow 1-0 victory at Stokesley SC, courtesy of a 31st-minute Jonny Hirst goal from close range after keeper Gary Frater’s great throw out and a fine pass bny Kai Elliott, who earlier had a goal ruled out for offside.

Jarrow are now on 77 points, one better than their previous best ever haul.

Rivals Richmond Town, who have four matches in hand, surprisingly went down 3-1 at Cleator Moor Celtic.

Callum Birdsall, Lee Dunn and Jay Weatherill did the damage for the Cumbrians, before Scott Ryan fired a late consolation for Town, beaten for only the fifth time.

Wolviston, up to fourth-bottom spot after a run of three successive away triumphs, saw their good run ended by a 2-1 home loss to near-neighbours Hartlepool.

Junior Masandi put them ahead on the hour mark, only for Samuel Cook to smash home a 30-yard volleyed equaliser three minutes later.

Pool snatched all three points with three minutes left, with substitute Kalon Lloyd converting a controversial penalty.

Redcar Athletic reached the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup final, defeating bottom-of-the-table battlers Harton & Westoe CW 3-1.

Lance Skelton headed the Teessiders in front and two further goals from Adam Preston ensured their victory, despite a late consolation from Paul Trosh.

In the final, Redcar will face Sunderland West End on a date to be confirmed.