Wearside League: Brilliant Boldon delight boss Mossa by sealing Shipowners Cup final place

Boldon CA (black and white) take on Stockton Town in their Shipowners Cup semi-final
Boldon CA (black and white) take on Stockton Town in their Shipowners Cup semi-final
Have your say

Boldon CA upset the form-book big style by defeating Stockton Town in the semi-final of the Shipowners’ Cup.

Stockton, who had lost just once in the league and the three domestic cups, were favourites but for once were sensationally upstaged.

Boldon CA (black and white) take on Stockton Town in their Shipowners Cup semi-final

Boldon CA (black and white) take on Stockton Town in their Shipowners Cup semi-final

Paul Mossa’s side made a dream start when they were awarded a penalty with barely a minute gone, and Adam Bell duly drove the spot-kick past goalkeeper Michael Arthur.

Chris Dunbar soon headed home a leveller, but Boldon took the tie with James Pickering’s crucial strike, smashing home after Bell chested down a David Conroy pass, and they will now meet Redcar Athletic in the final on Friday, May 20.

Mossa said: “This was a great afternoon for all concerned at Boldon. Not only have we made final but did it against all the odds, beating the mighty Stockton Town.

“We played superb from start to finish, comfortably soaking up Stockton pressure when we needed to whilst easily creating the best chances.

“Many doubted us taking such a young Horsley Hill side, who played in the Durham Alliance last season, into a tough Wearside League but I kept saying throughout this season just how good we are.

“I have received a number of congratulations from local football people who I think appreciate just what we have done at Boldon this season.

“On a personal note I would like to thank the Boldon committee who have supported us throughout the season, Barry Roberts my assistant manager and the coaching staff, Tony Robinson, Michael Hutchinson and Seb Turner, who have worked tirelessly with the players all season. ”

For much of the season, Sunderland West End have challenged for the title – but, following Saturday’s six-goal derby drubbing by Ashbrooke Belford House, they are in danger of not even finishing runners-up.

It just wasn’t a good day for Anth Nelson’s men at Ford Quarry.

By early in the second half they were chasing a four-goal deficit and, although Barry Turton and David Keithley threw them a lifeline , Ashbrooke finished strongly for an emphatic 6-2 win.

James Fairley’s brace in the opening 34 minutes set West End back on their heels and worse followed as Fairley completed a hat-trick and Kevin Humble took Ashbrooke’s total to four by the 54th minute.

There was temporary respite for the hosts, but back came Ashbrooke for Lee Harrison and Callum Charlton to take their total to six.

West End are now down to fourth, a point behind Cleator Moor Celtic and six adrift of Redcar Athletic, who maintained their slender hopes of pipping Stockton Town for the title by inflicting a seven-goal rout on Harton and Westoe.

Michael Woodhouse was the man-of-the-match with a hat-trick, Sam Webster bagged a brace with Fraser McNab (own goal) and Chris Atkinson also beating Harton goalkeeper James Erwin.

Third-top Cleator Moor had Callum Brunskill (2) and Tom Mahone to thank for a 3-0 win at Jarrow.

Annfield Plain have now conceded 121 goals in 34 games after being hit with a double-digit defeat by Hartlepool at Derwent Park.

From the moment Pool went in front on 21 minutes, Plain had no answer to a wave of attacks and 10 goals flowed from John Stephenson (3), Alex Marshall (2), Matty Gardiner (2), Sam Cooke (2) and Luke Naylor. On a miserable day, the home side failed to reply.

Silksworth CW looked on course for a share of the points at Whitehaven, but were hit by an added-time sucker punch.

Craig Robson was an early scorer for the Cumbrians, who held the lead for more than an hour.

The Colliers were threatening and their pressure was rewarded with an 80th-minute equaliser from Adam Storey, but their point disappeared in the 92nd minute when Greg Quayle struck the winner.

Prudhoe Town extended an impressive run of form by going nap against Spennymoor Town Reserves, who conceded four times in the first 37 minutes to Cameron Tait (2) and Stephen Foster (2).

Kyle Morris pulled a goal back before the break, but Prudhoe were never troubled and Aaron Fletcher added a fifth goal late on.