Wearside League: Boss Nelson delighted as much-changed West End seal quickfire double against Stokesley

Sunderland West End (red/white) line up a shot in Saturday's win over Stokesley. Picture by Tim Richardson.
Sunderland West End (red/white) line up a shot in Saturday's win over Stokesley. Picture by Tim Richardson.
Have your say

Fifth-top Sunderland West End secured a rapid double against lowly Stokesley SC.

They followed up a dramatic 4-3 midweek away success with an ultimately comfortable 3-1 home triumph at Ford Quarry.

However, the North Yorkshire outfit threatened an upset when they took the lead in the ninth minute through Ryan Rivis.

Brad Wilson steadied any West End nerves with an equaliser four minutes later.

In the second half, a shot from Wilson found the net to put West End in front, and, in the last minute, Mark Robinson beat goalkeeper Kieron Ezard to make sure of all three points.

West End joint manager Anthony Nelson said: “Stokesley came out and started quickly, but we just settled down and dominated possession and got the goals we needed.

“We had a totally different side due to injuries, but we did well and it went our way.”

West End are at home to Wolviston on Wednesday night (6.30pm).

Silksworth CW’s good run ended with a disappointing 3-1 defeat away to sixth-top Wolviston.

However, it all started promisingly for Silksworth, who took the lead when David Stevens made no mistake from the penalty spot after 28 minutes.

Seven minutes later, Wolviston equalised when Philip Otele pounced to score, following a free-kick.

Silksworth stayed level until deep into the second half when the home side went in front, Otele heading home his second goal of the game, after a fumble by goalkeeper Joe Clayton.

With five minutes remaining, Wolviston made the game safe when Dan Thompson fouled Junior Masandi in the box, and Otele made no mistake from the resulting penalty to secure his hat-trick.

Silksworth are back in action at Coxhoe Athletic on Wednesday.

Hebburn Town Reserves dropped from second place to third following a narrow 1-0 defeat at Richmond Town.

The all-important goal at Earls Orchard came in the 17th minute, when a luckless own goal from Ewan Simpson gave goalkeeper Andrew Hunter no chance.

Bottom club Coxhoe Athletic went down by 3-1 at home to Harton and Westoe CW.

Aaron Coulson fired the visitors ahead after 24 minutes and Liam Mulvain doubled their lead 12 minutes later.

Just before half-time, Dylan Crooks reduced the deficit, but, on the hour mark, Coulson’s simple tap-in made the game safe for Harton.

South Shields Reserves lost an entertaining game 3-2 away to Leam Rangers.

The Reserves went 2-0 up through Nathan Baddams and Joe Warren, but, in the second half, Leam fought back brilliantly to take all three points, courtesy of strikes from Leon Kane, Jordan Fraser and Aaron Mulholland.

Hartlepool were comfortably beaten 3-0 away to leaders Cleator Moor Celtic.

Kieran Maguire put the home side 1-0 up after 10 minutes and Callum Birdsall doubled their lead with a close-range shot past goalkeeper Elliot Coils.

Maguire scored his second in the last minute, clinching three more points as Celtic move towards the title.

Redcar Athletic moved into second place, following a hard-fought 2-1 victory at Windscale.

Ben Graham opened the scoring early doors for the home side, but, just before half-time, Joe Bennett levelled things up for the visitors, with a beauty of a strike.

The Teessiders’ winner came in the 70th minute, when Stuart Brown scored from a free-kick.

Darlington Reserves were comfortable 4-0 winners against Annfield Plain at Derwent Park.

Jack Vaulks, Dale Milburn and a brace from Jamie O’Brien did the damage.

There are two Wearside League games tonight, with Leam Rangers visiting South Shields Reserves for a quickfire return, two days after edging a 3-2 home win. Coxhoe entertain Richmond.