Sunderland Sunday League: Willow Pond celebrate at last, with first victory of the season

Hendon Athletic (blue) take on Lakeside in a recent clash. Picture by Tim Richardson
Hendon Athletic (blue) take on Lakeside in a recent clash. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

They had the flags out in force on Hylton Road after Willow Pond secured their first Division One win of the season, 4-2 against impressive Ryhope Top House.

Stuart Mckie, James Brunt, Kyle Reay and a goal from new signing Jake McDermott gave Willow their first three points.

Star man Jake Taylor and Josh Winthrop cut the deficit.

Steven Devlin continued his good start for Redhouse Last Orders with another goal and the man-of-the-match award in a 4-0 victory over Stumble Inn.

Neil McNulty made sure of the win with a great hat-trick.

Leaders Burton House secured another easy win, 10-1 at Thorney Close.

The Hopes were in formidable form as Callum hit a hat-trick and Martin bagged four. Chris Bewick, Paul Wardle and Stephen “Nelly” Wright finished the scoring.

Craig Collins grabbed Thorney’s reply, with David Robinson their top performer.

The Lansdowne are pushing the leaders all the way after their latest win, 5-2 away to Hendon.

Dean Gordon, Dylan Oxberry, Andrew Morris and a double from Rhys Jukes led the way, while start man Mason Burton was unplayable. Hendon replied through Owen Imeson and Keith Reay.

Dan Green gave Oddies an early lead, but The Royal Marine rallied strongly for a 3-1 victory.

An Anth Clifton brace turned the game around, then Sam Sibley came off the bench to make sure of the win. Peter Marshall shone, with Gary Sloan best for Oddies.

Plucky Jolly Potters frustrated promotion hopeful Ashbrooke Sport Club with a 2-2 draw.

Usual suspects Paul Webster and Gaz Baker struck for Potters, but the visitors fought back with goals from Josh Perry and Matty Teasdale.

Ryan Bussey starred for Potters, with Jonathan Dunn best for Ashbrooke.

TC Plastics took advantage of depleted Board Inn to battered their 10-man opponents 10-0.

Luke Bell hit a quickfire treble, backed by Jordan Cook (2), Kieron Stokoe, Corey Bell, Dan Robinson, Kieron Mitchell and Michael Stevens. Liam Houghton starred in vain for Board Inn.

In Division Three, Park View hammered Millfield Oddies 7-2 in their own back yard.

Man of the match Jack Callaghan started the scoring with a quick double and Clark Robinson smashed home a hat-trick before half-time.

Oddies came out strongly and scored twice soon after the break, courtesy of star man David Laing and Paul Maw, but Park View made sure of the win with further efforts from Reece Benson and Kieran Peverley.

Leaders The Park chalked up another convincing win, 4-0 against TC, to gain three more points in the title race.

Micky Pattison, Danny Pattison, Lewis Fairley and Connor Gales all found the net, beating TC’s star man, keeper John Lunn.

Second-top Grange Park took advantage of the extra man after Gav McAnaney was given his marching orders for visitors Silksworth Catholic Club.

Ryan Rowe (2), Nathan Groom and man of the match Shaun Fisk guided Grange Park home, with Darren Davie and Edward Wood responding. Warren Cassap starred for Silksworth.

Aaron Brennan and Andrew Hayden scored either side of half-time to earn Penshaw CC a 2-1 home win over Wearmouth CW Juniors, with Liam Binks starring.

Adam Reynolds hit Wearmouth’s late consolation, with Samson Adekola their top performer.

Ryhope New Railway edged home 3-2 away to Wear United, with Shaun Gibson their star man.

Ryhope took the lead midway through the first half when a cross/shot found the net thanks to Lee Patton.

But United levelled with a delightful Mick Smith lob which left the keeper stranded.

Sam Wade met a corner to smash Wear’s second goal home from close range.

United tried to play the game out, but New Railway had a late surge and an excellent Ben Rowlands free-kick went in off the bar from distance to level at 2-2.

The visitors then won it in strange circumstances, after a corner was sent into the box. The clearance hit Carl Lee square in the face and the ball bounced into the net for a cruel own goal.