Sunderland Sunday League: Goal-crazy Grange Park just a point from lifting Third Division title

Silksworth Catholic Club (green and white) take on The Dolphin last weekend. Picture by Tim Richardson
Silksworth Catholic Club (green and white) take on The Dolphin last weekend. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Grange Park hammered Westmount 9-1 to take another step towards the Third Division title.

They are now joint top, behind The Park on goal difference, but crucially have two games left, while their rivals have completed their campaign.

A point at Silksworth Catholic Club tomorrow will clinch the championship.

Shaun Fisk was on fire again, smashing five goals past hapless keeper Lloyd Simpson.

Adam Muldown, Ryan Rowe, Ryan Grimes and Nathan Groom finished the scoring for Grange, while Stephen Dixon hit the home team’s only goal

The Park recorded their 14th league win on the bounce as they hammered Wear United 5-0 in their final match of the campaign.

Lewis Fairley, Daniel Pattison, Michael Pattison, Connor Gales and Ryan McCollin all found the net. United’s star player was Andy Meikle.

Silksworth Catholic Club romped home in their home game against The Dolphin to all but guarantee a third-place finish.

It finished 5-0 and could have been double figures but for poor finishing.

Anth Brooke started it all with his double, and man of the match Ben Stokoe also found the net.

In the second period, early goals from Edward Wood and Brogan Smith finished Dolphin off. Lee Etheridge was the visitors’ star man.

Fourth-placed Park View will rue their poor start to the season as they have gone 10 games unbeaten in the league.

They recorded another win over Penshaw CC, edging home 3-2.

Thomas Jones and Jack Callaghan added to an earlier own goal to lead the visitors home, while Penshaw reduced the deficit with goals from Jonathan Snelling and Dan Dickinson.

Robert Robson starred for Park View, with Liam Binks best for Penshaw.

TC overcame an early setback to run out convincing 4-1 winners away to Wearmouth CW Juniors.

Craig Williams gave Wearmouth an early lead, but TC went on to dominate the rest of the game. David Tasker, star man Jay McLaren, Chris Price and Jake Smith led TC home, with keeper Patrick Crombie best for the hosts.

The Lansdowne managed to overcome a tough Hendon side 3-1 to to keep the pressure on the First Division leaders, who remain four points clear.

Rhys Jukes and a brace from Luke Taylor earned the second-top side the win. Hendon had Gav Ackroyd on target, to keep the home side on their toes, but Lansdowne ran out comfortable winners.

Kristian Tyson starred for Lansdowne, Martin Deacon for Hendon.

Another hat-trick for goal machine Martin Hope helped table-toppers Burton House secure another win, 6-1 at Board Inn.

Paul Wardle, Callum Hope and Chris Bewick finished the scoring as Burton secured their 19th league win.

Liam Steinberg replied late on for Board Inn, whose top performer was Josh Wigham.

Oddies suffered a heavy home defeat as they came up again youthful Ashbrooke Sports Club.

Jordan Ridley and Nathan Renton both scored hat-tricks for third-top Ashbrooke in a 9-2 romp, with John Hope-Hindmarsh, Michael Brown and Lewis Collinson also on target.

Anth Hammond popped up with a goal in each half for Oddies, but the game was dead and buried. David Oxley was Oddies’ top man, with Luke Hellens best for the visitors.

Ryhope Top House climbed to fourth place thanks to a 4-1 home victory over The Royal Marine.

Two-goal Paul Brooke, Carl Young and Josh Winthrop did the damage, with Danny Austin starring.

Man of the match Andrew Atchison hit Marine’s consolation.

Second-bottom Thorney Close Inn slipped closer to the drop after suffering another defeat, 5-1 at The Stumble Inn.

John Thubron and Corey Steel hit two goals each and Jason Alexander finished the scoring, with Luke Charlton starring. Kurt Jenkins popped up with Thorney’s consolation goal. The visitors’ top man was Craig Collins.

Billy Robson and Marc McNulty rescued a point for Redhouse Last Orders away to The Jolly Potters.

Potters had been 2-0 up and cruising thanks to efforts from Paul Webster and Baker, but Last Orders had the last laugh and claimed a point in a 2-2 draw, with Andrew Arnold their star man.