Sunderland Sunday League: Farra Paragon do a Barca in stunning comeback success against Foresters

TS Potters' James Cassidy (blue) battle against Hylton Castle TWR. Picture by Tim Richardson
TS Potters' James Cassidy (blue) battle against Hylton Castle TWR. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

It was certainly a game of two halves as Farra Paragon ISL produced a Barcelona-esque comeback to beat Ryhope Foresters 6-4 in a memorable Premier Division clash.

Foresters were cruising in the first half and were 4-0 up at the break, thanks to James Slack, Alan Laverick, Kieran Davies and Chris Bell.

But Farra did the unthinkable and turned the game around.

Ryan Mather found the net 10 minutes after the break, and Luke Richardson hit a second.

Jordan Thompson’s arrival sparked a surge as Farra romped home. Mather’s second and a quickfire Bogie double put them ahead, then Adzy McQuillan came off the bench to hammer home his chance to finish the scoring

Hylton Castle TWR moved six points clear at the top - and are clear favourites to take the title.

TWR’s 6-2 victory away to The Ashbrooke also had an effect on the bottom of the table, with the home side now condemned to the drop.

Ashbrooke needed to take something from their penultimate match, but goals from Leighton Cooney and Neal Atkinson were not enough.

Tom Callaghan, Kevin Gordon, Danni Lay (2) and a Cal Hodgson brace finished off the hosts.

Lee Cresswell starred for TWR, with Nathan Dodd best for Ashbrooke.

Things are hotting up at the top of Division One as leaders Burton House secured another three points with a 3-1 over Ashbrooke Sports Club.

Martin Hope, Kevin Humble and Adam Campbell scored for Burton, with Luke Hellens replying.

The Lansdowne had to dig deep to beat rejuvenated Redhouse Last Orders to keep them on track in the title race.

Matty Frost hit the solitary goal to claim all three points. Anth Mullen shone for Redhouse, Kristian Tyson for Lansdowne.

Burton, with six matches left, are four points clear of Lansdowne, who have a game in hand. The two sides meet on April 9 in a crucial showdown.

The Royal Marine look to have ended TC Plastics’ slim hopes of grabbing the title after beating them 3-2 away.

Peter Marshall’s brace cancelled the Plasticmen’s two earlier goals from Kieron McArthur and Leighton Stephenson.

Marine then won it with a late Michael Collier goal after coming off the bench.

Willow Pond have been relegated, but they made sure they ruffled a few feathers as they beat fierce rivals Oddies in a close-fought 4-3 thriller.

Andy Smith saw red for the visitors and Willow took advantage.

Jake McDermott hit a double, backed by Andrew Smith and Kyle Reay.

Oddies fought them all the way and hot-shot Daz Green hit a treble, but Willow made sure they held on to secure only their second league win.

Marc Whitfield shone for Oddies.

Goals from Conor Slee, Josh Winthrop, Carl Young and man of the match Paul Brooke gave Ryhope Top House a 4-2 win over spritely Jolly Potters.

Lewis Dodd and Paul Webster netted for Potters, with Tony Barrs starring.

Southwick were back to their best as they hammered title hopefuls SR Dons 7-1 to advance to the Total Sport Challenge Trophy quarter-finals.

Brett Gillatt was in unstoppable form as he ran the show and bagged a hat-trick.

Keiron Martin is also enjoying life in the Southwick fold and he capped a fine display with a treble of his own. Hall responded for Dons, but Ash Davis hit Southwick’s seventh.

Star man Clayton Davis was bang on form throughout and hit an excellent hat-trick to help Hendon down the Board Inn 4-3.

Matthew Harrison, Jordan Dagg and Liam Houghton levelled it up for Board Inn, but Hendon made sure of the win when Lee Owens finished a fine move.

Shaun Fletcher starred for Board.

A single John Turvey goal was enough for RCA Grangetown Florists to advance past Premier rivals O’Brien Waste Recycling.

Jonathan Winlow shone for Florists, with Lewis Robson best for O’Brien.