Sunderland Sunday League: Clifton treble just not enough for Royal Marine in Thorney Close thriller

RCA Grangetown Florists (blue) take on Ryhope Foresters in a recent Sunday League clash
RCA Grangetown Florists (blue) take on Ryhope Foresters in a recent Sunday League clash
Have your say

Anth Clifton was unlucky to be on the losing side after his fine hat-trick was not enough for The Royal Marine, who lost 5-3 at Thorney Close Inn in Division One.

Ross Antliff bagged three fine goals for Thorney, backed by Jason Alexander and Corey Steel.

Redhouse Last Orders made leaders Ryhope Top House work for their 2-0 win.

Paul Brooke and James Mitchell found the net, while both sides had men sent off, Norman Newton for Last Orders and Danny Austin for Top House.

Port of Call leapfrogged Ashbrooke Hendon into fifth place after beating them 3-1.

Neal Atkinson put Ashbrooke in front, but the young Port side had enough in the tank to turn it around, through Matty Harrison and tricky Micky Wharton (2).

Oddies’ winless streak continued after they went down 4-1 to The Stella, who are finally finding their form.

Andy Smith’s return to Oddies’ side ended in disappointment as he was giving his marching orders. David Snowdon hit Oddies’ goal, while Lewis Monaghan, Gavin Teasdale and two-goal Dan Dunlop sparked Stella.

Jolly Potters have lost their way in the league but will be thankful for their hard-earned 2-2 draw at Washington Colliery.

Ethan Bussey and Gaz Baker struck for Potters, but Jordan Stevens hit a brace for Colliery.

Sunderland Railway Club fought for a 0-0 draw at New Town, with Alex McDonald their star man. Dan Warris shone for the hosts.

Whitburn Panthers recorded their first win of the Fourth Division campaign after beating whipping boys AFC Houghton 5-3.

Brendon Crumbie, Ryan Allman, Chris Storey and a Connor Wadey double won it for Panthers, with John Hockridge starring.

Connor Ashman, Dillon Huggins and John Morrison replied.

Liam Middlemas was on fire again, bagging another hat-trick to set Mill View CIU up for another comfortable win, 5-1 against Nookeside.

Stephen Conlin scored his usual goal for the hosts, but the goal of the game was from Scott Richardson, a dipping 35-yard volley. Jamie Allan hit a late consolation.

Lee Cuthbertson smashed a hat-trick, as Washington Juniors Teal Farm beat Terminus 4-2, to get back in the hunt for the title.

Simon French and Billy Robson struck for Terminus to keep them interested, but a further Brian Quinn strike sealed the hosts’ win.

Witherwack enjoyed a comfortable 4-1 win over The Dolphin.

Graham Stephenson was back among the goals with a clinical hat-trick, followed up by Nathan Robinson’s effort.

Kyle Hourigan notched for Dolphin, with Ryan Chalk their top man.

Washington Arms dug deep to beat a well-drilled The Grange side 3-2.

Lewis McGeoch had a stormer and scored twice, with James Murray also scoring. Jake Holmes and Jordan Muckles replied. Adam Lane starred for Grange, Joe Young for Arms.

Ryhope Foresters beat Grange Park 3-1 in the Total Sport Challenge Trophy, with man of the match Kieran Davies bagging a hat-trick.

Shaun Fisk struck for Park, with Ryan Grimes their top performer.