Sunderland Sunday League: Callaghan hat-trick inspires Hylton Castle’s cruise into cup quarter-finals

The Lansdowne (maroon) take on Farra Parragon ISL last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady
The Lansdowne (maroon) take on Farra Parragon ISL last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady

An excellent Tom Callaghan hat-trick was enough to see Hylton Castle TWR Group through to the Hendersons Butchers League Cup quarter-finals.

The Grange couldn’t compete with the Premier men and went down 3-0, but Jack Wright stood out for the hosts.

Victoria Gardens are pushed all the way by Division Two title favourites The Park before winning 4-3.

Alan Golightly was on fire with a brace, but Micky Pattison and Fairley kept Park in it. Mark Catcheside and Stephen Wright made it 4-2, before Danny Pattison hit a late third for the visitors.

The Lansdowne recorded a precious win after a poor run of results, dumping Farra Paragon ISL out in a close 2-1 win.

Kristian Tyson had Tom Smith’s side in front before Stephen Bogie netted for Farra. Then Bryan Norton came back to haunt Farra, hitting the Lansdowne winner.

Lewis Lynch starred for Lansdowne, Mark Swindle for Farra.

RCA Grangetown Florists cemented themselves as favourites for cup glory after beating fellow Premier side SR Dons 4-2.

Hot-shot Mark Robinson bagged a brace, then Turvey and Hunter made it four. Dons’ star men, Watson and Noble, notched to ensure an interesting finale.

Grange Park had an easy route to the quarter-finals after brushing aside Herrington CW 6-2.

Fisk and Crighton both scored twice to give Grange Park a comfortable half-time lead. Herrington came out with all guns blazing, with Morrison and Smith giving them hope, but the hosts continued to press and increased their lead through Groom and Conlon.

Ryhope Foresters recorded an easy 8-0 win over Port of Call as Kieron Davies ran riot with a four-goal haul.

McLagan, Nesbitt, Armstrong and Edmundson added to the tally, while Shaun Fletcher was Port’s star man.

Thorney Close Inn endured another heavy defeat as Redhouse Last Orders ran out 7-3 winners.

Devlin got back on the scoresheet with two fine goals, and McNulty doubled the lead with his brace.

Stubbs, Charlton and Az Forrest revived Thorney, but Redhouse capitalised on sloppy play and sealed the deal thanks to Stokoe, Ryan Morse and Gav Quinn .

Southwick advanced in the Durham County Sunday Cup after winning an exciting game at Greatham Bull and Dog 4-2 on penalties.

The game ended 3-3 after 90 minutes, with Butler, Spence and Ross on target before the Southwick faithful wildly celebrated their shoot-out success.

In the league, Sunderland Railway Club recorded a great 4-0 win over resolute Royal Marine to move up the First Division table.

Scott Wallace bagged a well-taken double then Ridley and Baker added second-half goals. Peter Marshall did his best for Marine, but they couldn’t find the net.

Oddies’ latest defeat, 3-0 at Washington Colliery, sees them drop into the relegation zone.

Andy McIntyre fired home twice and Jonny Rowntree hit their third. Ian Lane dusted off his boots for Oddies to put in a solid shift in defence.

Ryhope Top House look to be running away with the title after another win, 3-0 against The Stella.

Harry Munday was on form and found the net to get Ryhope started, with Paul Brooke and Michael Brown increasing the lead. Gavin Teasdale again stood out for Stella.

A single Tony Barrs goals was enough to secure all three points for Jolly Potters against spritely New Town, a welcome victory after a poor run.

Lewis Jopling shone for New Town.