Sunderland RCA go down fighting as FA Cup dream dies at Scarborough

Ryhope CW's Josh Home-Jackson (red and white) tries to create against Seaham Red Star on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson.
Ryhope CW's Josh Home-Jackson (red and white) tries to create against Seaham Red Star on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson.

Gallant Sunderland RCA saw their FA Cup dreams dashed in a second qualifying round defeat at Evo-Stik League Scarborough Athletic on Saturday.

Martin Swales’ men put up a stirring fight at the Flamingo Land Stadium before succumbing 2-0 to two second-half strikes.

RCA had their chances in the first half, with Michael Charlton slicing a strike well wide and Colin Larkin passing up another opportunity before heading past the post with another effort.

Nathan O’Neill’s impressive surge was halted by a brilliant block from Matty Turnbull.

RCA fell behind in the 56th minute when a mistake by keeper Neal Bussey gifted the ball to Emile Sinclair, who rolled the ball across for Michael Coulson to score from the edge of the box.

Scarborough’s Max Wright had an effort disallowed for offside, and RCA responded when Ross Preston was denied by an excellent Dan Thirkell block.

RCA cleared off the line before Scarborough bagged their killer second goal, on 85 minutes, when Luke Dean fired past Bussey after linking with Coulson.

Shildon secured an excellent 1-0 win over renowned cup giantkillers Altrincham.

In a tight game, there were few chances, although the home side had a goal disallowed for a foul on goalkeeper Anthony Thompson.

Shildon’s winner came a minute from time. Defender James Jones was red-carded for handball in the box, conceding a penalty.

Billy Greulich-Smith’s spot-kick was saved by goalkeeper Thompson, only for it to rebound out to Cameron Fenton, who gleefully fired home to secure a memorable win.

Manager Daniel Moore said: “I was delighted with the result and it was a tight game, with them been the better team in the first half.

“Adam Burnicle made the difference in the second half and when Cameron headed the goal from the penalty rebound, we were ecstatic, but the referee kept us holding on with six minutes added time!”

Ex-Sunderland youth-teamer Dylan McEvoy and Paul Brayson notched as Newcastle Benfield beat Ashton United 2-1.

Elsewhere in the FA Cup, Spennymoor Town had Glen Taylor on target, but they lost 2-1 at home to Gainsborough Trinity.

South Shields impressed in a 3-0 victory at Darlington, with Dillon Morse and two-goal Carl Finnigan netting.