Peterlee Sunday League: Hall right now as Hearts sink Celtic to win Second Division Cup

Have your say

Peterlee Hearts enjoyed a night to savour as they lifted the Second Division Cup in style.

Anthony Hall led the way with a double as Hearts outgunned neighbours Acre Rigg Celtic 4-0 in the final at Seaham Town Park.

Michael Coates and Steven Freeman also netted, with Steven Fairless the man of the match.

Craig Tweddle stood out for beaten Celtic.

Dawdon Welfare Park saw their grand slam hopes dashed by an epic 4-3 extra-time defeat to Peterlee Helford United in their Premier Division Cup semi-final.

Dawdon won a clean sweep last year and looked on course for another, but it was not to be and Helford will now meet Shotton Comrades in the final on Friday, April 7.

Dawdon were without influential goalscorer Robbie Bird, however they came from behind to lead twice in normal time before Helford equalised and snatched victory in the extra half hour, with Michael Cockburn heading home the winning goal.

In normal time, Gary Shaw, Karl Garside and Johnny Briggs all scored for Helford, with Kyle Bell, Andrew Beer and Paul Atkinson replying.

Ian Bickerstaff shone for Helford.

Lee Wood was in exceptional form as Peterlee Hearts ran out 6-1 winners against Peterlee Central Club in the Second Division.

Man of the match Wood hit a five-timer to inspire Hearts, with Michael Coates their other marksman. Michael Bayles bagged Central’s consolation in their final match of the season.

Hetton Fox and Hounds shared the spoils with hosts Acre Rigg Celtic in a thrilling 4-4 draw.

Star man Chris Anderson (2), Graeme and Stuart Coxon were all on target for Celtic, but two-goal Michael Brunning, Bradley Wear and Matthew Price found the target for Fox and Hounds in their penultimate match.

The other game also ended all square, with defences on top as fourth-bottom New Seaham Westlea drew 0-0 away to third-bottom Grangetown WMC.

Danny Dixon stood out for Grangetown, with Thomas Farrell best for Westlea.

Easington CIU have it all to do if they are to avoid relegation from the Premier Division.

A 3-2 loss to Seaham The George, who secured their first league win of the season at the 14th attempt, leaves CIU three points adrift of third-bottom Easington HMS Victory, with just two matches left.

Goals from Rob Huntley and Simon Todd were not enough as George had Steven Hopkirk, Adam Wallace and Paul Henderson to claim a morale-boosting win. Shane Docherty was George’s top man.

Two goals from striker David Paul paved the way for Peterlee Catholic Club to enjoy a 4-0 win against Easington HMS Victory.

Peter Crawford and Liam Wintrip also weighed in for Catholic, with Jake Slater their star performer. Nathan Graham shone in vain for HMS Victory.

Horden CW Supporters Club moved within two points of leaders Dawdon Welfare Park, but have played two games more.

Two Jack Pounder strikes steered the Supporters home 4-1 against Shotton Comrades, with Michael Robson and Christopher Wright also on the scoresheet.

Lewis McGeoch hit Comrades’ response, with Graeme Johnson their star man. Martin Fowler stood out for Horden.

Peterlee Oaklands just got the better of bottom club Murton New Hesledon to consolidate top spot in the First Division.

They edged home 4-3 against their battling hosts thanks to goals from Martin Mason, Chris Brown, Karl Arkwright and substitute Ben Crake.

Andrew Naylor fired a brilliant hat-trick only to be on the losing side for New Hesledon, who remain a point behind second-bottom Wingate Grange but have two games in hand.

Third-placed Easington Welfare maintained their promotion charge thanks to a hard-fought 2-1 win over Hetton Social.

Joe Taboun and Jay Jobson bagged the crucial goals, with David Stevens starring.

Mathew Johnson’s clinical hat-trick and a strike from man of the match Mark Hartley paved the way for South Hetton Cricket Club to enjoy a comfortable 4-1 win over Wingate Plough Inn.

Star man Joe Coulson grabbed Plough’s consolation.

Goals from Scott Henderson, Kevin Wear and Jai Young enabled Easington Lane WMC to pick up another three points to boost their promotion bid.

They defeated Wingate Grange 3-1, with substitute Simon Hall hitting the home reply. Keeper Chris Daley shone for Grange, while Elliott Woods was outstanding for Lane.

Lane have eight games still to play and are only seven points outside the top two.