Over-40s League: Victoria rally in style to floor battling Foresters

Pennywell Vets get in a shot against Doxy Lad last weekend
Pennywell Vets get in a shot against Doxy Lad last weekend

Washington Victoria Inn continued their seven-game unbeaten run with a fine 3-1 Premier Division win over Ryhope Foresters.

Washington’s bright start brought three great chances, but Ryhope struck first, with a fine long ball to star man Brett Cummings, who finished superbly.

Ryhope defended resolutely under pressure, but, after a bad injury sustained by Andy Lumsden, sub Chris Holtan side-footed home an equaliser from outside the box.

Keith Gamble then headed in a free-kick for 2-1 before sub Chris Dawson got his first Victoria goal from the edge of the box.

Phil Sowerby shone for Washington”

Penshaw Catholic Club got back to winning ways with a 3-0 success against a strong Redhouse WMC side.

They dominated throughout but a failure to convert chances meant that a first-half Luke Charlesworth goal never looked enough, with always-willing Redhouse striker Paul Hodgson ready to take advantage of any defensive slips.

Penshaw’s defence remained strong, though, and late goals from Charlesworth and sub Mark Liddle sealed a deserved victory.

Wearmouth CW lost 3-2 at bottom club Wallsend Community, while Easington CIU lost 1-0 at home to Hartlepool Workies, going down to Andy McKenna’s well-taken 20th-minute strike.

Late Easington pressure almost brought an equaliser, only for a fingertip save in the final seconds to deny them.

Leaders Marden outgunned Hartlepool Raby Arms 6-1 after being pegged back to 1-1 by a memorable Nicky Lloyd chip.

The Philadelphia joined Rolls-Royce on nine points in mid-table in Division Three after edging home 3-2 in an entertaining clash.

Rolls felt they should have had a penalty before Phili went ahead, the unmarked Neil Westray heading home.

Rolls got back in the game when a weak shot by Atkinson somehow found its way into the net.

Phili took the lead after Alan Jones’s free-kick went through the wall to make it 2-1 on 50 minutes, and they added a third with 10 minutes to go.

Rolls pulled a goal back through Parkin’s shot on the turn in the box, but Phili held on.

Willow Pond slipped from top spot after a 3-0 defeat to impressive Hartlepool Stag & Monkey.

Dean Cassidy was adjudged to have handled the ball in his own box on five minutes, allowing Brendan Deer to send Patrick Lesca the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Graham Rowbottom’s looping free-kick eluded everyone and bounced past the diving Lesca to double the lead.

Brian Adamson went closest for Willow, when Scott Pounder fingertipped his shot away, then Ronald Bulmers fierce free-kick being pushed over. Deer beat sub keeper John Davis to make it three.

Ivy Legends rose to second place thanks to a convincing 3-0 success at Washington JFC Biddick Inn, while Houghton Cricket Club succumbed 6-2 at Pelton Roseberry Grange.

Durham County Strollers deservedly beat Hartlepool Vets 3-0, after netting twice in the first 15 minutes. A back-post header from a corner sealed the deal.

In Division Four, bottom club Pennywell Vets broke their duck for the season with a hard-earned 3-2 derby success away to Doxy Lad.

Pennywell Comrades were outgunned 6-2 at second-top Sedgefield, but Wearmouth CW Old Boys came out on top 5-3 in a thriller against Boldon Colliery Tavern to rise to fifth place.

Grindon Broadway stayed second in Division One despite being held to a goalless draw by lowly visitors Ferryhill Greyhound.

Seaham Marlborough slipped to fourth after a 5-2 defeat at 100% leaders Whitley Bay Seahorse, while Sherburn Village are down to sixth following their 3-1 loss to Wallsend BC.

South Shields climbed to third after a 2-2 draw at Thornley Celtic.

Plains Farm Alldec remain at the foot of Division Two following a 5-0 defeat to unbeaten high-fliers St Mary’s College Old Boys.

Mill View are up to eighth after beating Stanley 2-1.

Peterlee Helford United were swamped 10-1 by leaders Newcastle East End, while Dubmire Club are up to 10th place on the back of a 1-0 defeat of Darsley Park.