Over-40s League: Ryhope Foresters cut down by Marden in tough cup battle of the Premier’s top two

Wearmouth CW (red) take on Consett in last week's cup tie. Picture by Tim Richardson
Wearmouth CW (red) take on Consett in last week's cup tie. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Ryhope Foresters made life tough for Marden before exiting the Kip Watson Villa Real Cup in a tough battle of the Premier Division’s top two teams.

Tony Healer fired Marden into a first-half lead when he drilled home a free-kick from 30 yards and added a second, on the hour mark, when he headed home a Mark Scott cross.

Andrew Davidson reduced the deficit for Foresters with a headed goal to set up a tense final 20 minutes.

Ryhope had the chance to force extra time when they had a penalty awarded for a foul, but John Cullen missed from the spot.

Ryhope finished with 10 men, after David Fishburn was sent off late on for violent conduct.

Wearmouth CW were surprisingly knocked out 2-1 by lowly visitors Consett in an all-Premier tie, while First Division Penshaw Catholic Club secured a fine 3-2 victory over Premier outfit South Shields.

Red House WMC’s home clash with Blakelaw SC was abandoned.

Ferryhill Greyhound were ahead from the fifth minute and did not look back as they outgunned Hartlepool Gillen Arms 3-0, while Newcastle East End won 2-0 at Premier side Darlington Shuttle and Loom and Richmond Town squeezed home 4-3 against Premier club Cramlington Burton House.

In Division Four’s Billy Lorraine Cup, Ivy Legends lost their quarter-final 3-1 at home to Hartlepool Tech.

The visitors were ahead on five minutes and doubled their lead with a fierce 20-yard drive. Legends responded with a penalty, but Tech wrapped up victory, scoring direct from a corner.

Leaders Roseberry Grange suffered a 2-1 extra-time defeat at second-top Hartlepool Vets, after deservedly going ahead in the first half. The hosts’ second-half dominance paid off 10 minutes from time, and they edged home in extra time.

Second-top Wallsend Boys Club progressed in the Second Division’s Ironside Cup, but were made to fight hard for a 1-0 victory at Peterlee Helford.

Willow Pond produced a spirited performance to clinch a close-fought 2-1 Third Division victory over Washington JFC Biddick Inn.

On a heavy pitch,Willow took the lead early on when Biddick failed to clear a corner and the ball fell to Gary Golightly, on the edge of the box.

His viciously hit shot ent over everyone and flew into the net in off the underside of the bar.

The lead was shortlived, though, as the hosts lost possession and Biddick countered. Jason Jones’ long ball into the box was headed down for Mark Cane to equalise, with the home defence caught flat-footed.

The visitors looked the better side and they had a chance to take the lead, but Craig Robson fired over as Willow keeper John Davis, playing with a broken finger, dived at his feet.

Willow pulled themselves together in the second half and pinned Biddick back, with star man David Kelly running the away side ragged.

But Biddick broke and almost went ahead, when a long ball from Jones saw keeper Davis and defender Darren Smith collide, but Mo Makin’s lob was hooked off the line by an alert Brian Adamson.

Willow responded and Ronald Bulmer was unlucky to see his 25-yard piledriver come back off the bar, with Biddick keeper Stephen Halliday well beaten. The rebound fell to Kit Tipling, but his header was easily saved.

James Briant then hit the bar, after tricky wing play from Golightly, then Biddick countered to shoot ovet, when a goal looked certain.

The game looked a stalemate, but Willow won it in the dying minutes when a corner curled straight in from Dean Cassidy, with Biddick’s defence and keeper unable to stop it.

Houghton Cricket Club slipped to third-bottom spot after a 7-1 defeat at Stanley, while Hedworthfield Red Hackle climbed above the cricketers thanks to a 2-1 victory over bottom club Shildon Grey Horse.

Trimdon Vets moved off the foot of Division Four with a 3-1 success away to Colonel Prior, moving up to third-bottom spot, albeit having now completed their programme.

Trimdon are above Prior on goal difference and two points clear of bottom club Oddfellows Arms, but their rivals have three and five games left respectively.

Washington Victoria Inn rose to fifth place in the Premier Division, thanks to a 2-1 win at relegation-threatened Hebburn Town.

In an even first half, Washington gained the lead after 20 minutes when Lee Miles was put through by man of the match Andy Lumsden to slot the ball home.

Second-bottom Hebburn were playing long balls to their front line and had success five minutes later, when their star man, Tony Tatum, ran through to equalise.

The second half saw Victoria dominate the play and they got their winner from the penalty spot after Lumsden was brought down by the Hebburn goalkeeper. Skipper Chris Holtan hit the perfect penalty into the top corner.

Division One leaders Hylton CW were held to a 2-2 draw by visitors Seaham Marlborough, but they still look good to be crowned champions.

Second-top Easington CIU, who have played two games more than Hylton, closed the gap to four points after defeating relegation-threatened Whitley Bay Seahorse 3-1.

Grindon Broadway were given a walkover against Thornley Celtic, while bottom club Coxhoe Red Lion were thumped 5-0 by second-bottom St Mary’s College, who are now only a point behind the two teams immediately above them.

Cobblers Hall moved three points above fourth-top Mill View SC in Division Two thanks to a 3-1 home victory.

Both defences held firm until Clinton Thompson latched on to a Anthony Hodgson flick-on to round the keeper to put Mill View 1-0 up after 25 minutes.

Mill View grew in confidence and went looking for a second goal, however they were caught on the break when a lack of concentration let in a Cobblers forward to finish smartly at the near post to level.

The second half started with Mill on top and it took a fine save to stop Thompson from restoring their lead.

The game looked to be petering out to a draw until five minutes from time, when a Mill defender fell on the ball in the penalty area and inexplicably picked the ball up, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot. The penalty was duly despatched and Cobblers sealed the win with the last kick of the game.

Horden Sportsmans were held to a 2-2 draw by visitors John Hogg Funerals, and are now just one point above the bottom three.

South Shields Catholic Club, in third-bottom spot, boosted their survival hopes with a 2-0 win over The Milbourne Arms.