Over-40s League: Maw the merrier as Penshaw set up big cup final date

Hartlepool Vets (red) leapfrog a Boldon Colliery Tavern defender in last week's Billy Lorraine Cup final at Wearmouth CW. Picture by Tim Richardson.
Hartlepool Vets (red) leapfrog a Boldon Colliery Tavern defender in last week's Billy Lorraine Cup final at Wearmouth CW. Picture by Tim Richardson.
Have your say

Penshaw Catholic Club face a tough task in tomorrow’s Kip Watson Villa Real Cup final at Wearmouth CW, up against Premier Division champions elect Marden (10.30am).

Penshaw won through 3-0 away to Ferryhill Greyhound in their semi-final.

Boldon Colliery Tavern (blue) battle Hartlepool Vets in the Billy Lorraine Cup final

Boldon Colliery Tavern (blue) battle Hartlepool Vets in the Billy Lorraine Cup final

The first half was edgy with Ferryhill defending in numbers and Penshaw finding it difficult to break them down, with only half-chances being created.

Two minutes into the second half, a great cross from Chris Hall saw Damian Maw rise high above the defence to head home.

Ten minutes later, the assistant referee saw an off-the-ball incident in the Ferryhill box and awarded a penalty which Chris Moody duly converted.

It was 3-0 10 minutes from time when Moody’s great run and cross was finished off by a bulleted header from star man Maw.

Bishop Auckland manager Stephen Riley and ex-Bishop captain Scott Richards also starred for Penshaw.

In the other semi, Marden pipped Wallsend Community 3-2.

Paul Booth’s 25-yarder put Wallsend ahead, after outstanding keeper Anthony Tronn made two tremendous first-half saves to deny Marden.

Wallsend had a strong penalty claim waved away before John Fitzpatrick’s glancing header levelled it up at 1-1.

Two quickfire Tony Healer goals, a header and a chip, settled the tie in Marden’s favour, though Steve Gallagher reduced the deficit in the last minute.

A cheque for £500 will be donated to Consett’s Villa Real School – for children with special needs – at the final.

Hylton CW have been crowned champions of Division One, finishing two points clear of runners-up Easington CIU.

Hylton lost 3-2 in their final game at Whitley Bay Seahorse.

South Shields leapfrogged Dormans into fourth place following a 4-1 win over the Teessiders.

Consett eased their drop fears with a final-day 6-1 win at bottom club Coxhoe Red Lion.

Hebburn Town climbed off the foot of the Premier Division after a 4-3 win over Darlington Shuttle & Loom.

Heaton Stannington slipped to bottom spot after a 4-2 defeat to third-top Hartlepool Touchdown.

Marden regained top spot with a 2-0 midweek win, moving a point above Ryhope Foresters, still with four games to play.

In Division Two, relegated bottom club The Philadelphia lost 2-1 to Cobblers Hall in their penultimate match of the season.

Cobblers showed more intent, but the game was very stop/start, with both teams failing to string any number of passes together.

The visitors struck with a goal on the half hour, when, following a succession of corners, Darren Griffiths powered in an unstoppable header.

The Philadelphia responded to the half-time team talk and, on the hour, Alan Jones collected a ball on the edge of the area and lashed home a 20-yard drive.

Cobblers Hall came back fighting and scored the winner in the 65th minute when Alan Thorn was on hand to prod the ball home after some intricate one-twos on the right of the box.

John Hogg Funerals lost 2-0 at champions Wallsend Boys Club.

Willow Pond and Redcar Old Boys served up a 10-goal Third Division thriller which ended 5-5.

Depleted Willow added secretary Ally Wilson to the starting line-up and, despite a bright start, they fell behind when Simon Nozedar fired Redcar ahead after a Stuart Maude cross was cleared off the line.

Willow soon levelled, though, as centre-half Andy Norman powered home his header from Gary Golightly’s corner.

Willow stormed ahead when Golightly collected the ball on the left wing and ghosted into the box before rounding the keeper for a classy finish.

Phil Heathcock volleyed Redcar level and Jon Carless put them ahead from the spot, before Willow keeper Matt Gartland made a miraculous save to stop Nozedar making it 4-2.

David Kelly’s mazy run was finished off by a brilliant James Briant strike to haul Willow level at 3-3, and they soon went ahead, Briant following up to net after Kevin Pattison saved his initial strike.

Briant completed his hat-trick, outpacing the full-back before scoring with a low drive, to make it 5-3.

But Redcar rallied as Mike Appleyard headed home Maude’s cross, then Paul Richards half-volleyed home an equaliser.

Willow’s Mark Wood had a chance at the death with a free-kick curling just wide, but the draw was a fair result.

Washington JFC Biddick Inn lost 4-1 to bottom club Shildon Grey Horse, while second-bottom Oddies put up a good show before going down 3-2 at champions Newcastle East End.

Durham County Strollers fought back from two down to level matters, only to succumb 4-2 to Hartlepool Stag & Monkey.

Boldon Colliery Tavern saw their dreams of glory dashed by a 2-0 defeat to Hartlepool Vets in the Billy Lorraine Cup final at Wearmouth CW.

An entertaining and competitive game could have gone either way, but was settled in the last quarter of the match. Boldon probably edged the first-half possession without really threatening, then pinned their opponents back in a blistering start to the second period.

A luckless own goal gave Hartlepool the lead, a defender heading into his own net after Anthony Young swung the ball into the box and Graham McKenzie put the pressure on.

McKenzie sealed victory, bundling home a Young pass for 2-0.

Boldon’s Bryan Morley, who hardly put a foot wrong and did not deserve to be on the losing side, was man of the match.

Stalwarts David Bissett and Tommy Beach were complimented for completing 30 years of association with the finalists.