Over-40s League: Laidler and Moody clinch cup progress for Penshaw in extra time

Rolls Royce (blue) take on Willow Pond in the Over-40s League last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady
Rolls Royce (blue) take on Willow Pond in the Over-40s League last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Penshaw Catholic Club moved into the quarter-finals of the Robson-Pattison Cup, beating holders Cramlington Burton House 2-1.

Penshaw dominated the first half, missing several gilt-edged chances, then Cramlington failed to make the most of their second-half opportunities, sending the tie to extra time.

Cramlington immediately made the breakthrough with an excellent strike by Mark Owens from outside the box.

But Penshaw showed great fighting spirit and were rewarded when Trevor Laidler levelled with a long-range shot into the top right corner.

Then man of the match Chris Moody received a great ball over the Cramlington defence from Guy Granger, cut inside and calmly placed the ball beyond the goalkeeper’s reach to seal victory.

Simon Reay starred in vain for Cramlington.

Ryhope Foresters suffered late heartbreak in their Kenny Ball Cup quarter-final, going down 1-0 at Premier leaders Marden.

Foresters more than held their own in a hard-fought clash, with the tie settled 10 minutes from time when Brian Smith towered above the visiting keeper to head home Tony Colquhoun’s corner.

In the semis, Marden will meet Darlington Shuttle and Loom, who came from 3-1 down to beat Wallsend Community 4-3.

First Division Seaham Marlborough, who won through the previous week, face Hartlepool Touchdown in the other semi.

Touchdown claimed a 2-1 come-from-behind win at Heaton Stannington, with Andy McKenna and Bob Smith on target.

Washington Victoria Inn rose to sixth place in the Premier Division with a 3-1 victory away to depleted Redhouse WMC.

Victoria started brightly and went ahead on 10 minutes when the prolific Justin Kirtley headed home a lovely chip from Gary Allison.

Redhouse stood firm as Victoria had the best of the first half, but the visitors doubled their lead just before half-time as new signing Steve Burns picked the ball up outside the box and hit a left-footed screamer into the top corner.

Redhouse, despite their injury problems, came out fighting and created a few chances before pulling a goal back courtesy of Gary Middlemiss’s delightful left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

The game was end to end until man of the match Burns grabbed his second goal to kill the game off at 3-1.

Lee Ellison shone for Redhouse.

Wearmouth CW outgunned relegation-threatened Hebburn Town 3-1 to stay fifth.

Mill View SC ran out 3-1 Second Division winners against Horden Sportsmans.

Mill took a deserved early lead when Anthony Lavery hammered the ball home from the edge of the penalty area after a pinpoint pass from star man Chris Duddin.

Mill View doubled their lead after 25 minutes when Anthony Hodgson finished off a fine, sweeping move with a low drive into the corner of the net.

Horden, to their credit, battled back and their pressure told off with a successful penalty, but Mill sealed victory when Ashley Hodgson produced a fine turn and shot to make it 3-1.

John Hogg Funerals survived a missed Hartlepool Catholic penalty to claim a fine 1-0 win, with a brilliant strike into the top corner of the net.

Durham Stonebridge kept up their promotion bid with a 2-0 victory at The Philadelphia.

Both defences played well to keep the scoreline blank in a high-tempo first half.

Stonebridge broke the deadlock in the 65th minute when a right-wing cross split the Phili defence and Lee Pratt scored at the far post.

Things got worse for Phili straight from the restart, when the ball was lost and Stonebridge quickly got the ball into the box, with Pratt again on hand to shoot past the home keeper, who was injured in the process.

Peterlee Helford impressively beat high-flying Cobblers Hall 3-1 to ease their relegation fears, while fourth-top Pelton Crown crashed 5-0 at leaders Blakelaw SC.

Rolls-Royce deserved their share in the spoils in an entertaining 2-2 Third Division derby against Willow Pond.

But they are now just four points above the relegation zone, despite an exceptional midfield display by star man Ian Usher.

Willow quickly opened the scoring when David Kelly switched play to the left wing with a delightful ball to Gary Golightly. He drove at the defence and played a one-two with James Briant before skipping into the box and shooting past static keeper Mark Boundy.

Controversy surrounded Rolls’ equaliser, as the ball hit an outstretched arm before being played across the goal for a Mick Atkinson tap-in. Willow’s objections were waved away.

Willow regained the lead after full-back Lee Brown played a cool ball down the right to Kelly, whose pace took him past the defence and he curled a pinpoint cross into the six-yard box for the onrushing Briant, whose bullet header screamed into the top corner, giving Boundy no chance.

Willow keeper John Davis saved his side twice before midfielder Mark Wood had two chances to increase the lead, firing one past the post and seeing the other well saved by Boundy, who also produced a fingertip save to deny Ronald Bulmer.

Brown had a long-range effort disallowed after John Forster was adjudged to have fouled the keeper in the air.

Rolls, though, levelled when a corner caused chaos in the box and sub Russ Simpson rose above the melee to net with a fine header.

Andy Norman was outstanding for Willow.

Oddies’ brilliant run continued with a 5-2 success against promotion hopefuls Stanley, while Washington JFC Biddick Inn leapfrogged Durham County Strollers into eighth place with a 2-1 victory. Houghton Cricket Club boosted their survival chances with a precious 2-1 win at fourth-bottom Hedworthfield Red Hackle, who are now just a point better off.

Fourth-top Ivy Legends shared the spoils with Boldon Colliery Tavern in a 3-3 Fourth Division thriller, while Colonel Prior succumbed 4-2 st Sedgefield.

Oddfellows Arms lost 4-1 at bottom club Trimdon Vets, whose win took them within two points of the second-bottom Sunderland side.

Leaders Roseberry Grange drew 2-2 in the big game at second-placed Billingham Vets to stay four points clear, with two games in hand.

Hylton CW moved four points clear at the top of Division One thanks to a hard-earned 4-3 victory at mid-table South Shields.

Easington CIU, second before kick-off, were leapfrogged by Hartlepool Gillen Arms following the visitors’ 2-0 win, as Tigger Lyons and Jeff Bulley netted.

Seaham Marlborough outgunned Thornley Celtic 4-2 away to climb two points above their hosts into ninth spot.

Ferryhill Greyhound, in fourth, boosted their promotion push with a 2-1 defeat of lowly St Mary’s College.