Northern League: Willington celebrates 1000th Northern League success as clever chip sinks Ryton

Have your say

Willington created a piece of history when they claimed their 1000th Northern League victory on Saturday.

The Hall Lane side, who become only the sixth club to achieve the feat, had to scrap for all three points against third-bottom Ryton & Crawcrook Albion in Division Two.

The crucial goal came after 33 minutes, when Daniel Kent’s chip over goalkeeper Anthony Pattison sealed Willington’s narrow 1-0 win.

Victory lifted the hosts to 15th place, 10 points above the bottom three.

Easington Colliery suffered stoppage-time heartbreak as they succumbed 3-2 at home to Bedlington Terriers to maintain their disappointing run of form which has all but ended their hopes of promotion.

Josh Rodgers gave Bedlington the perfect start, rising to head home a corner on six minutes. He quickly doubled their lead, showing alertness to finish off when keeper Kyle Donaldson failed to gather a free-kick.

Easington created a number of chances, with Jack Pounder hitting the woodwork and David Paul having an effort blocked before Pounder roused the home crowd with a 73rd-minute strike, shooting home from the edge of the box.

Callum Hope had a fine effort well saved before the Colliers equalised a minute from time, with Luke Page hitting an effort towards the bottom corner of the net and a Bedlington defender, on the line, unable to keep the ball out.

That looked good enough for a point, but Terriers snatched victory two minutes into added time, when Sam Norris showed good strength to get the better of two defenders and fire under Donaldson.

Bottom club Esh Winning’s survival hopes suffered a blow, with a 2-0 defeat at Heaton Stannington.

Two Jonathan Wright goals, a 38th-minute penalty and a header on 61 minutes, were enough to win the game.

At the top, leaders Team Northumbria marched on with a comfortable 3-0 win at Hebburn Town, who were delighted with a crowd of 284 as locals responded to pleas for support.

Ben Dibb-Fuller netted on eight and 43 minutes, with Ross McKeown also on target.

Second-top Stockton Town defeated Northallerton Town 2-0.

Max Craggs headed in the opener from Kevin Hayes’ cross after 13 minutes and laid on the second for Tom Coulthard to net after 49 minutes.

Friday winners Billingham Synthonia are third, while fourth-placed Billingham Town are right in the mix, with games in hand, after a 4-1 success at Darlington RA.

Chris Dickinson’s penalty after 11 minutes set them on their way and he then doubled the scoring five minutes before the break.

Connor Dunlavey and Craig Hutchinson wrapped things up, with Steve Telford replying.

Blyth Town are on the fringe of the promotion race and they kept in touch with a 3-1 over Alnwick Town. Liam Gillesphey’s 35-yarder, backed by strikes from David Robinson and Gary Day, did the damage, with Tony Brown replying.