Northern League: Washington secure cup booster as Pickard. Brown sink Chester

Washington (red) take on West Auckland earlier this season
Washington (red) take on West Auckland earlier this season

Washington enjoyed a welcome boost with a 2-0 derby win over neighbours Chester-le-Street in the Northern League’s Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup last night.

The Mechanics made the breakthrough with a penalty in the 35th minute, with Samuel Grieveson fouled in the box and Jake Pickard making no mistake from 12 yards.

Andrew Brown scored the crucial second goal, when he rose well to head home from a corner, in the 63rd minute.

Durham City edged through 3-2 against First Division Team Northumbria.

Bradley Hird scored after seven minutes and then doubled City’s lead two minutes later.

Team Northumbria pulled a goal back on 37 minutes through Joshua Bynoe, but, with five minutes remaining, Hird completed his hat-trick to make the game safe at 3-1, even though the visitors scored a late consolation own goal, courtesy of Adam Crathorne.

West Auckland lost 3-1 to visitors Consett.

The Steelmen took the lead three minutes before half-time, when Jack Elliott’s cross somehow found the net.

Michael Sweet headed them 2-0 in front in the 64th minute after good work by Elliott. However, six minutes later, Nathan Fisher reduced the arrears when he headed home.

Consett went 3-1 ahead with a well-deserved goal from David Dowson, with 10 minutes left.

Newton Aycliffe demolished Ryton & Crawcrook Albion 5-0.

Nathan Stephenson’s 22nd-minute effort broke the deadlock, and Stuart Weldon made it 2-0 when he converted a Paul Weldon cross.

Jack Oliver made the game safe at 3-0 in the 75th minute, with an excellent strike. Kurt Matthews and Stuart Banks extended the lead before the end.

Northallerton beat Ashington 5-4 on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Aaron Ramsbottom’s free-kick and a Nick Martin strike had Northallerton two up, but Callum Johnston and Ben Harmison got Ashington back to all square.

Whickham pipped Thornaby 3-2 with goals from Joe Mole (2) and Chad Collins.