Northern League: Washington gutted as Johnson sparks Bishops’ comeback success

Ryhope CW (red and white) threaten the Marske United goal in Saturday's clash. Picture by Tim Richardson
Ryhope CW (red and white) threaten the Marske United goal in Saturday's clash. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Washington are now just three points above the relegation trapdoor in Division One – after losing 4-2 at Bishop Auckland on Saturday.

Disappointingly for the Mechanics, they blew a two-goal lead.

The managerless visitors went in front when Gary Shaw’s back-post header beat goalkeeper Ed Wilczynski. In the 37th minute, Washington made it two, when Matthew Waters fired past Wilczynski.

On the stroke of half-time, Andrew Johnson pulled a goal back, converting a penalty past keeper Daniel Mullen.

In the second half, Bishops came out firing on all cylinders and equalised after 62 minutes when Johnson scored again, following a great pass from Jeff Smith.

Bishops took the lead for the first time on 70 minutes, when Stuart Thompson dazzled the visitors’ defence, after a good pass from Johnson, and fired home.

In the last minute, Johnson scored his second, smashing home the rebound after a Jonathan Wright free-kick hit the bar.

It gets no easier for Washington in midweek, as they visit champions Shildon on Wednesday.

Easington Colliery secured an excellent 3-2 win at Heaton Stannington to stay in fifth place in Division Two.

Heaton’s Joshua Holland opened the scoring in the 15th minute when his shot found the net, beating goalkeeper Kyle Donaldson.

But Paul Frame’s men equalised, when Reece Kenney converted a penalty in the 29th minute.

Daniel Robinson regained the lead for the home side, heading home a Josh Pride cross, but Kenney did well to equalise in the 63rd minute, when he smashed the ball home direct from a free-kick just outside the box.

Easington then rocked the home side with a 75th-minute winner, with Shaun Smith poking the ball home, following a goalmouth scramble.

Fourth-placed Durham City enjoyed a 2-0 success against visitors Alnwick Town at Consett.

Bradley Hird opened the scoring after just 10 minutes, when he beat the offside trap and fired the ball into the net.

Alnwick stayed in the game until four minutes from time, when Kieran Harnett’s shot was deflected over goalkeeper Dominic McMahon for the second.

Tow Law Town nearly pulled off the result of the day, but they eventually went down 3-2 at promotion-chasing Stockton Town.

They went 1-0 up through Kevin Dixon’s header after nine minutes, but Max Craggs cracked in a brilliant free-kick from 25 yards, to equalise.

Right on half-time, the Lawyers regained the lead through a Kelvin Thear shot, after he went on a solo run, but, with six minutes remaining, Stockton equalised, after Joseph Johnson fired in past goalkeeper Michael Allen from close range.

Tow Law were left devastated when Stockton won it in the 90th minute as Sonni Coleman chipped the ball over keeper Allen from just inside the box.

Esh Winning lost again, 3-1 at Thornaby, and remain rooted to the bottom of the table.

However, they did take the lead, when Kieran Day scored after a bad mistake from goalkeeper Michael Duff. Gary Mitchell deflected a Ben Jackson shot into the net to level.

Mitchell then made it 2-1 after 44 minutes, rounding goalkeeper Mark Fish to net, then he completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot, after Karl Charlton was tripped.

Brandon United earned a 1-1 draw at Northallerton, fighting back after Liam Jarvie had given Town the lead with a curling shot past keeper Tom Orton. United equalised against the run of play, when Steven Turnbull fired past keeper Michael Thackeray.

Billingham Town routed Whickham 7-0.

Livewire man of the match Craig Hutchinson had a field day, hitting five goals, with Stephen Oakley and Luke Hogan also on target.