Northern League: Seaham Red Star, Ryhope CW secure impressive away victories

Easington Colliery (green) battle against Alnwick Town in Saturday's Division Two clash. Picture by Kevin Brady
Easington Colliery (green) battle against Alnwick Town in Saturday's Division Two clash. Picture by Kevin Brady

Seaham Red Star enjoyed a terrific 2-0 win at third-top Dunston UTS with arguably the performance of the week in Division One.

Before the game, co-manager Paul Johnson had called on his players to improve from the midweek defeat, when they crashed 5-1 at home to North Shields, and they certainly did that.

Liam McBryde gave Red Star a 13th-minute lead, when he lobbed advancing goalkeeper Niall Harrison.

Although Dunston nearly equalised, when Liam Thear hit the post, Aaron Croft made it 2-0 in the 51st minute, when he finished well following good work from Lee Hetherington.

Further chances came Red Star’s way and the winning margin could have been higher, but it was still a smashing win.

Co-manager Paul Johnson said: “We played well and it was a good team performance.

“Alan Croft and Tommy Price came back in and were excellent and I am over the moon with the result and the whole team performance, which was excellent.”

Ryhope CW were also good winners on their travels, coming from behind to win 3-1 at Bishop Auckland.

Gary Pearson’s men showed great character to rally after falling behind on 33 minutes, when Shaun Ryder tapped home, following some good build-up play from the hosts and an Andrew Johnson shot was saved by Jonny Ball.

The fightback started six minutes later, when Ryhope equalised through Matty Weirs, who showed great composure to finish off a through pass.

Bishops had a goal disallowed when a free-kick was touched on its way in by an offside player, but Ryhope looked the better side and deservedly went in front on 74 minutes, when sub Josh Home-Jackson flicked in a David Gordon cross from the left.

Ball kept Ryhope level, denying a right-foot effort from Michael Hoganson as Bishops fought gamely for a leveller, but James Ellis sealed an impressive away triumph in the final minute, capitalising on a bad error by Hoganson.

Sunderland RCA sit eighth after an entertaining 4-3 win at Guisborough Town.

Nathan O’Neill gave RCA a 13th-minute lead, but Lewis Maloney’s well-taken penalty levelled it up.

Three minutes later, Mason McNeill put the Priorymen in front after breaking free, but Colin Larkin beat home keeper Jordan Nixon, four minutes after, to make it 2-2.

Guisborough were back in front just before the break, when Steve Roberts scored direct from a free-kick, giving keeper Neal Bussey no chance.

RCA, though, equalised again with Larkin’s second goal, two minutes into the second half, and O’Neill bagged what proved to be the winner in the 52nd minute.

Washington put up great fight on the road at high-flying Marske United, narrowly losing 2-1.

Manager James Clark’s young team played well and held the Seasiders until the 39th minute, when Adam Wheatley, on his 300th Marske appearance, scored from close range following a corner.

The Mechanics were back in the game, after Matty Waters headed home past goalkeeper Robert Dean in the 59th minute.

But James Fairley scored Marske’s winner, 10 minutes later, beating keeper Daniel Gladstone.

Jarrow Roofing added to bottom club Billingham Synthonia’s woes with a 4-2 away success.

Battling Synners were twice in front, through Jordan Jewson’s terrific opener and a James Lowe strike

Dennis Knight converted a pair of penalties to level matters, and Roofing’s second-half dominance was rewarded by strikes from Oliver Martin, from a tight angle, and Adam Shanks, who lobbed the keeper.

Consett and Newton Aycliffe played out a 1-1 draw.

The Steelmen took the lead through David Dowson after 38 minutes, but t Kurt Matthews finished well to level before the interval.

Fifth-top West Auckland were comfortable 3-0 winners at Whitley Bay.

Nathan Fisher finished well with a great shot after 11 minutes and Anthony Bell doubled the lead before half -time. Amar Purewal headed home the third after 66 minutes.

Elsewhere, leaders Morpeth Town won 6-0 at Penrith, with Sean Taylor’s hat-trick backed by goals from Liam Henderson, Luke Carr (penalty) and Ben Sayer.

Stockton Town won again, 4-0 at home to Newcastle Benfield, courtesy of Kevin Hayes, Chris Stockton, Sonni Coleman and Jamie Poole (penalty). Benfield had Steve Bowey sent off late on.

Managerless Ashington produced the shock of the day, winning 5-1 at second-placed North Shields.

Michael Chilton and Dale Pearson had them two up before Gary Ormston (penalty) rallied the Robins.

However, second-half strikes from Luke Salmon, Craig Scott and Ben Harmison completed a great win for the Colliers.