Northern League: New bosses off to a flier with Easington Colliery cup success

Easington Colliery (green) battle against Alnwick Town last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady
Easington Colliery (green) battle against Alnwick Town last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady

Easington Colliery made progress into the second round of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup with last night’s 2-1 win at Darlington RA.

Under new bosses Craig Hughes and Craig Veart, the Colliers started brightly and Liam Adamson who put them in front, when his shot found the net after 15 minutes.

Jay Martin thought he had made the game safe, with a fine strike into the corrner of the net, from Wood’s pass, in the 83rd minute.

But Mark Sims pulled one back with a minute left, to set up a tense finish. The referee allowed 12 minutes of injury time, but Easington eventually went through.

Brandon United lost 2-1 at home to West Allotment Celtic in an all-Second Division tie, after going ahead when Ian Dunn sliced into his own goal when under pressure on 10 minutes.

Bruno Mendes-Correia’s deflected shot levelled it up on 32 minutes, then Alex Berhan hit Celtic’s winner with 20 minutes left.

Neighbours Shildon and Bishop Auckland played out an epic Ebac Northern League Division One derby, with Shildon edging home 3-2 in front of a crowd of 280 at Dean Street.

Former Washington and South Shields defender Ibby Hassan made his debut for the Two Blues.

Billy Greulich-Smith put the Railwaymen ahead on 23 minutes, from close range, following a corner. But Andrew Johnson levelled, netting on the rebound after Ian Ward’s header was saved.

In the second half, Adam Burnicle hit the post for Shildon and Bishops keeper Scott Pocklington denied both Bobby Moore and Martyn Coleman, making good saves.

Shaun Ryder went close with a long-ranger for the visitors, who went ahead when Johnson scored his second, turning his marker and firing home on 68 minutes.

Greulich-Smith equalised 10 minutes later then completed his hat-truick with the winner soon after.

Whitley Bay lost 2-1 at Guisborough Town, who led with efforts from Steven Roberts and Bradley Mills before Alex Kempster pulled one back.

In the only Division Two game, Bedlington Terriers won 3-1 at Esh Winning.

Bedlington raced into a 3-0 lead, thanks to Peter Henderson (six minutes) and two-goal Jack Foalle (16 and 76), before Connor Halpin fired a consolation.

Crook Town were sunk 5-1 by First Division visitors Newcastle Benfield in the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup.

Matthew Stephenson’s header got Crook level at 1-1, but Scott McCarthy’s brace and a second-half Paul Brayson treble steered Benfield home.