Northern League: Mechanics miss out as Marske hit back for seventh straight win

Washington (red) take on relegation rivals Guisborough Town recently
Washington (red) take on relegation rivals Guisborough Town recently
Have your say

Washington stayed 10 points clear of the Ebac Northern League Division One drop zone after losing 2-1 at home to Marske United last night.

The Mechanics made the perfect start and were in front with a Shaun Pickford strike after 28 minutes, brilliantly lobbing keeper Robert Dean from 20 yards.

Marske improved on the restart and claimed all three points thanks to two goals in nine minutes.

Aaron Ramsbottom clipped home to level on 53 minutes after Ashley Coffey raced past onrushing Washington keeper Harrison Scott and delivered a cross into the middle.

Soon after, Marske sealed a seventh straight win as Coffey was brought down for a penalty which Craig Gott converted, for his first Marske goal since rejoining from Spennymoor Town earlier this season.

Handily for Washington, third-bottom Guisborough suffered a heartbreaking 5-4 home loss to Ashington, who scored twice late on to snatch victory.

Gary Wood’s 20-yarder and a Mason McNeill strike twice had Guisborough ahead, but Ben Richardson (penalty) and Dale Pearson levelled each time, before Ben Harmison headed Ashington 3-2 ahead.

Steve Roberts levelled before Louis Goldsack put Guisborough back in front, but Ashington stunned the Priorymen in the closing stages as Harmison made it 4-4 and sub Andrew Bulford hit a dramatic, close-range winner.

South Shields maintained the pressure on neighbours North Shields, with a narrow 1-0 win at Newcastle Benfield, but they left it late.

The match was heading for a 0-0 draw, until Louis Storey scored with just three minutes remaining for South Shields, heading home an Andrew Stephenson corner. The Mariners cut North Shields’ lead at the top to eight points, with two games in hand.

Shildon and Morpeth Town drew 2-2 in an entertaining clash of third and fourth.

Liam Henderson gave Morpeth a 31st-minute lead, after a 45-minute delay to kick-off because of traffic problems on the A1. Two minutes later, Shildon were awarded a penalty and Matty Robson smashed home to make it 1-1.

Morpeth went ahead again, when Sean Taylor tapped home on 51 minutes, after Shildon failed to clear their lines. Billy Greulich-Smith hit the post for Shildon, before they equalised after 68 minutes when Robson converted his second penalty, after a handball offence in the box.