Northern League: Easington fight back to secure another crushing win

Ryhope CW (red/white) win an aerial duel against Bishop Auckland on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady.
Ryhope CW (red/white) win an aerial duel against Bishop Auckland on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady.

Easington Colliery came roaring back from a goal down to secure a second successive 4-1 victory in the Second Division on Saturday.

Bottom club Alnwick Town threatened an upset when they took a 22nd minute lead through Jonathan Wilson, who took a through pass in his stride and rounded keeper Kyle Donaldson to score.

But Easington hit back in style to record a comfortable win.

Two minutes into the second half, they were level as David Vincent converted a low cross from Liam Cooke.

Vincent soon made it 2-1, pouncing from close range after a Cooke strike was saved.

Donaldson made two important stops to deny Alnwick an equaliser, before Easington tied up the win in the 76th minute, Kyle Middleton finishing in off the post after good work from Cooke.

Jack Pounder rounded off the scoring with an excellent, curling effort into the corner of the net, seven minutes from time.

Easington’s final match is away to Durham City this Saturday.

Durham City made life tough for table-toppers Blyth at Willington, but the visitors narrowly claimed all three points to maintain their title ambitions.

The crucial goal came on 27 minutes, when Liam Hudson turned sharply to fire past keeper Nathan Armin.

Brandon United won their crucial clash at the bottom, edging home 1-0 against Darlington RA to climb to third-bottom spot.

But they cannot now finish higher, with just three games to go. They trail fourth-bottom Crook Town by 10 points.

If three clubs are relegated, then Brandon will go down with Darlington RA and Alnwick Town.

In a tight showdown with RCA, Jordan Lee scored the only goal midway through the second half.

Crook Town earned a point at home to Chester-le-Street in a close-fought 1-1 draw.

Andrew Clarkson had given Chester an early lead, but, on the hour mark, Adam Lee-Shield equalised.

Crook are a point behind Bedlington Terriers, who have a game in hand, and three adrift of Ryton & Crawcrook Albion, who have played two games more.

Whickham slipped back down to fourth place after a 4-1 mauling at Tow Law Town.

The Tynesiders did go ahead with a Daniel Candlish strike, but Damon Reaks soon levelled things up.

Simon Ord put Lawyers 2-1 ahead just after half-time and two further Lewis Teasdale goals sealed a comprehensive win.

Hebburn Town rose to second place thanks to a 1-0 success at Ryton & Crawcrook Albion.

However, they left it late, with the crucial goal, a Paul Chow penalty, coming in the 89th minute.

Northallerton moved back above Whickham into third spot after a 4-2 triumph against Esh Winning .

Stephen Cheeseman, Chris Dickinson and Aaron Ramsbottom (2) put the home side 4-0 up, before Connor Halpin’s brace got Esh on the scoresheet.

Billingham Town edged a close-fought 1-0 home victory over sixth-top Heaton Stannington to consolidate eighth place.

The winning goal came from Luke Hogan’s strike in the 59th minute.

Willington, in seventh, were good 3-1 victors at West Allotment Celtic.

A Nicky Whitelaw penalty, after two minutes, gave Celtic an early lead, but Ian Dunn’s own goal, followed by strikes from Mathew Moffat and Nathan Plews gave the visitors all three points.

Jarrow’s fifth successive home match brought a 2-1 defeat to Bedlington Terriers.

Trae Rawlinson gave Terriers an early lead, but Steven Graham equalised on the stroke of half-time.

Chris Glass sealed Bedlington’s win on 73 minutes.