Northern League: Cestrians on the up at last as Clarkson, Hepplewhite sink Esh Winning

Chester-le-Street (hoops) take on Esh Winning at Chester Moor Park. Picture by Tim Richardson.
Chester-le-Street (hoops) take on Esh Winning at Chester Moor Park. Picture by Tim Richardson.

Chester-le-Street moved up a place to third-bottom in Division Two, with only their third victory of the season.

Andrew Clarkson gave the Cestrians a first-half breakthrough against mid-table visitors Esh Winning, and a Michael Hepplewhite penalty just after half-time, sealed the deal for the hosts.

Durham City enjoyed a remarkable 5-3 win at Crook Town and leapfrogged their opponents into 13th place.

City took the lead through Ben Joyeux, but Kyle Morris equalised.

Callum Smith and Bradley Hird then steered Durham 3-1 up at the interval, though a Joyeux own goal got Crook back into it, on the restart.

Hird made it 4-2 and, though Crook had a lifeline with Calum Johnston’s 79th-minute strike, Daniel Knowd wrapped it up for the visitors, with three minutes left.

Easington Colliery and Darlington RA produced a 1-1 draw.

David Vincent put the home side ahead after 22 minutes, converting an excellent run and cross from James Talbot.

But RA levelled three minutes into the second half, James Wilson curling a fine effort past Kyle Donaldson from just outside the box, following a short free-kick.

Chris Pearson denied the visitors a winner by clearing off the line.

League leaders Tow Law Town were held to a 1-1 draw at Bedlington Terriers.

The Lawyers took the lead early in the second half, when Dean Thexton scored from the penalty spot.

However, the Terriers rallied and were awarded a penalty of their own 15 minutes from time, which Jack Foalie duly dispatched to ensure a share of the spoils.

Hebburn Town are just a point behind in second place, after thumping Billingham Town 4-1 away from home, with Paul Chow their four-goal hero.

The Teessiders’ bright start was rewarded Ashley Lavan’s determination brought a fifth-minute opener, but Hebburn soon got on top.

Chow levelled with a ninth-minute penalty, after Gary Shaw’s corner was handled in the box, and Chow finished off from close range for 2-1 after Stu Bramley nodded on another Shaw corner.

Billingham rallied strongly in the second half, but rarely threatened to level and two late goals sealed Hebburn’s victory. Chow did brilliantly to beat three players and fire home for 3-1, then added a last-gasp fourth from close range.

Brandon United travelled to Heaton Stannington and earned a good 2-2 draw.

Vinny Gash was on the scoresheet again for United, making a 22nd-minute breakthrough, only for Dean Deagle to equalise three minutes later.

Jason White missed a 35th-minute penalty for United and Heaton capitalised to go ahead, when Ethan Tait struck 10 minutes into the second half.

Brandon left it late, but they grabbed their point when Gash was on hand to score his second goal, with just a minute left

Willington fought back well to earn a 2-2 draw at home to third-placed Northallerton.

The visitors raced into a 2-0 half-time lead through Jack Proctor’s penalty and a Richard Walker strike.

However, the Hall Lane men came roaring back in the second half. Matty Moffat headed home 68 minutes and Tom Lazonby levelled with another header, four minutes later.