Northern League: Battling Mechanics denied by late Whitley Bay leveller

Gavin Cogdon hits South Shields' late opener in last night's 2-0 Evo-Stik North win over Goole, the leaders' ninth win in 10. Picture by Peter Talbot.
Gavin Cogdon hits South Shields' late opener in last night's 2-0 Evo-Stik North win over Goole, the leaders' ninth win in 10. Picture by Peter Talbot.
Have your say

Washington picked up a welcome point in last night’s Ebac Northern League Division One trip to Whitley Bay – but they were so close to only a second win of the season.

The third-bottom Mechanics started brilliantly, scoring in the first minute, when ex-Bay player Robbie Williamson fired the ball home.

Washington looked set to hang on for a much-needed victory, but, with four minutes remaining, Whitley Bay dramatically equalised, with Scott Jasper pouncing to score following a mistake by goalkeeper Daniel Gladstone.

Soon after, Washington had had two decent efforts on goal to regain the lead, but Bay survived to see out a 1-1 draw.

Washington remain third-bottom, but James Clark’s men are now level on points with Newton Aycliffet.

West Auckland suffered a crushing 5-1 defeat at home to Dunston UTS, who climbed to second place with their stylish success.

The impressive visitors took a 15th minute lead, with Mark Fitzpatrick netting. Just four minutes later, Liam Thear’s shot found the corner of the net from just outside the box, doubling Dunston’s advantage.

It was 3-0 in the 23rd minute, when ex-Whickham star Fitzpatrick scored his second from the penalty spot, after Lewis Galpin had handled in the area.

West’s woes continued as Fitzpatrick completed his hat-trick on 37 minutes, after rounding the keeper to score.

Dunston even hit a fifth before the break, with Scott Heslop notching.

Adam Mitchell smashed home a direct free-kick to give West a second-half consolation, but the home side dropped to fifth place.

Seventh-placed Consett lost 2-1 at Jarrow Roofing.

Dennis Knight hit Roofing’s opener after just six minutes, however, the Steelmen equalised five minutes later, when Danny Craggs cracked home a brilliant free-kick from just outside the box.

Roofing went ahead just before half-time, when David Palmer scored from close range, the goal which proved to be the winner.

Ashington outgunned lowly Penrith 4-1.

The Colliers made the perfect start, going ahead after just two minutes when Ben Harmison converted from the penalty spot.

Callum Johnston added a second in the 38th minute, and he made it 3-0 just after half-time, netting from close range.

With five minutes left, Adam Main scored a consolation for the Cumbrians. But, in the last minute, Tony Stephenson had the last word, with Ashington’s fourth goal.

The only game in Division Two was abandoned after 69 minutes, when the floodlights at Whickham’s Glebe home went out.

Whickham had taken a 35th-minute lead, when Kyle Wharton’s header flew into the net. Two minutes later, John Martin volleyed home to make it 2-0.

Crook pulled a goal back from the penalty spot, in the 54th minute, when Chris Emms sent goalkeeper Alexander Curran the wrong way.