FA Vase: Home-Jackson the two-goal extra-time hero as Ryhope CW move into first round proper

Ryhope CW (red/white) battle against Northallerton in Saturday's FA Vase tie. Picture by Kevin Brady
Ryhope CW (red/white) battle against Northallerton in Saturday's FA Vase tie. Picture by Kevin Brady

Ryhope CW progressed to the to the first round proper of the FA Vase, overcoming Second Division high-fliers Northallerton Town 2-0 on Saturday.

But Gary Pearson’s men required extra time to see off their battling visitors in a close-fought second qualifying round tie.

Town started brightly and were definitely not overawed by the occasion. Josh Knox’s free-kick found the head of skipper Dan Jones, but he could not get any power on his header, with goalkeeper Jonny Ball comfortably saving.

After a goalless first half, Ryhope started the better in the second half, but the visitors defended well and the game petered out to a goalless draw at full-time.

Ryhope took the lead in the 102nd minute, when goalkeeper Tom Dawson saved a shot, but it fell to the feet of Josh Home-Jackson, who bundled the loose ball over the line.

In the 109th minute, it was 2-0, when a cross into the box was met by Home-Jackson to score his second goal of the game and make the game safe.

Ryhope CW joint manager Stuart Gooden said: “It was a really tough game and very tight in the first half.

“Second half, we played much better and, when we made the three substitutions, that made the difference and our quality and fitness showed through in the end.

“We had words with the lads at half-time and I was over the moon with their reaction.

“We are really happy with the way things are going this season so far, and would like a nice draw in the next round.”

Spirited Seaham Red Star went down 2-0 after extra-time at fellow First Division side Marske United.

But they held firm until the Seasiders made the breakthrough in the 94th minute, when Leon Carling fired them ahead.

Ashley Coffey doubled the Marske lead 10 minutes later.

Washington were well beaten, 5-0 at Dunston UTS in an all-Division One clash.

Mark Fitzpatrick opened the scoring on nine minutes, but the Mechanics stayed well in the tie until midway through the second half.

Dale Burrell made it 2-0 on 63 minutes, with Scott Heslop adding a third 10 minutes later. Fitzpatrick and Burrell struck again late on.

In a pulsating match, Consett went down 4-3 after extra time at Stockton Town.

Daniel Craggs gave the Steelmen a foutth minute lead, but Joe Carter’s header levelled it up before Craggs had a 40th minute penalty saved.

Craggs put Consett ahead again, on 74 minutes, butChris Stockton rounded the goalkeeper to make it 2-2, taking the tie to an extra half hour.

Two minutes into extra time, Consett took the lead again, with Calvin Smith scoring from close range, only for Max Craggs to equalise at 3-3. Then, in the second minute of stoppage time, Stockton fired home his second goal to clinch a dramatic home winner.

Bishop Auckland crashed 2-0, to a pair of Jack Foalie goals, away to Bedlington Terriers.

Billingham Synthonia and Whitley Bay will face a replay tomorrow night, after their 2-2 extra time draw.

Scott Jasper fired the visitors in front on 29 minutes, but Synners fought back well to equalise through Craig Hindmarch (62).

In extra time, Jordan Jewson put Synners in front in the 105th minute, only for Ross Wilkinson to make it 2-2 two minutes later.

Tow Law Town pulled off a memorable 5-1 win over Division One opponents Penrith.

The Second Division Lawyers raced into a 2-0 lead after just seven minutes, through Lewis Teasdale and Jon Hirst .

Two more goals in two minutes had them cruising, four goals to the good, when Dean Thexton and Teasdale notched.

John Murray pulled one back for Penrith after half-time, but Teasdale wrapped the game up with his hat-trick goal on 55 minutes.

Hebburn Town went down 3-1 at home to First Division visitors Newcastle Benfield.

Paul Brayson put the visitors ahead after 11 minutes, only for Glen Hargrave to level things up, shortly after.

Brayson’s second goal restored the lead, with 10 minutes left, and Dan Taylor had the last word with a third for Benfield.

Durham City went down 2-0 at First Division side Team Northumbria, who bagged two first-half goals.

Josh Bynoe struck after just two minutes, with Robbie Spence netting just before half-time.

West Auckland enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win over Silsden, with Adam Mitchell finally making the breakthrough four minutes before the break.

Amar Purewal added a second early in the second half, and Ben Wood killed the visitors off with a third on 88 minutes.

Willington lost narrowly to Harrogate RA, with George Eustance on target for the visitors, spotting the keeper off his line and hitting a memorable strike from halfway, with just eight minutes remaining at Hall Lane