Durham Sunday League: Pelton Crown grab cup final glory as Dubmire start promotion party

Consett (green) defend against Wearmouth CW in their Over-40s Cup clash last week. Picture by Tim Richardson
Consett (green) defend against Wearmouth CW in their Over-40s Cup clash last week. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Pelton Crown lifted the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy with a hard-fought 2-1 final success against High Handenhold Bird Inn.

Man of the match Steven Burns opened the scoring for Pelton after seven minutes, turning neatly in a crowded penalty box to half-volley home.

Pelton Crown lift the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy after beating High Handenhold Bird Inn in the final at New Ferens Park

Pelton Crown lift the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy after beating High Handenhold Bird Inn in the final at New Ferens Park

Two minutes later, Ryan Smith thought he had increased the lead but his effort was scrambled clear off the line.

Bird Inn grew stronger as the game progressed and equalised, with Liam Errington heading home a corner.,

But, despite two tremendous saves by keeper Tony Swift, Crown bagged the winner, with Michael Hoyle tapping in from close range.

Crown keeper David Hartley and Bird’s Shane Swift were both sent off.

Dubmire stayed 12 points clear at the top of Division Three with a 3-0 success at Lumley Snooker Club and confirmed promotion in the process.

A brace from James Gardiner was accompanied by a 45-yarder from Captain James Murray, while Paul Coxon gave an inspirational man-of-the-match display

Second-bottom Chester Garden Farm RAR – but still well in the fight for promotion – suffered their first defeat of the season in a tremendous derby, going down 4-2 to Ouston Juniors.

Man of the match Matthew Cornish (2), Sam Hedley and Andrew Hall all notched for Ouston in an impressive performance, coming from behind twice, with Ryan Johnson and Tom Wray unable to prevent Garden Farm’s disappointment.

Adam Goodyear was Farm’s top performer.

Lumley consolidated second place after edging home 3-2 against Bowburn in an entertaining game.

Kelvin Scorer, Jonathon Cossar and star man Scott Melvin did the damage.

Adam Kirk twice hauled Bowburn level and later saw Eddie Carr hit the post when chasing a third leveller.

Pittington climbed to third place on the back of a 2-1 home victory over Newton Hall Jovial Monk, whose marksman was David Wile. Afshin Liaghi was Monk’s star man.

Houghton Chilton Lodge remain deep in trouble in Division One after a 4-1 mauling away to fourth-top Framwellgate Moor WMC.

Lodge, just a point above second-bottom Whitehills (who have completed their season) and two clear of bottom club Pelaw Grange Dogs (who have five games in hand), had Liam Mence on target with a stunning free-kick.

But Framwellgate Moor ran out good winners, with star man Lewis Coburn, Adam Roxby, Sam Plant and Chris Pattinson all netting.

Iain MacPherson shone for Lodge.

Washington Cross Keys maintained their promotion challenge, with a 4-2 come-from-behind home victory over bottom club Pelaw Grange Dogs.

Pelaw had the better of the first half and were 2-0 up as Brian Allen netted twice, but a costly mistake allowed Keys back into the game just before half-time.

The visitors were to rue their string of missed chances as Keys roared back, levelling and then striking two more goals to clinch all three points.

Doubles from star man Luke Duffield and Alan Wilson gave Keys victory.

Pelaw had man of the match David Stevenson sent off for a second bookable offence.

Coxhoe Red Lion defeated Ferryhill Dynamoes 2-0 on a dreadful pitch, with Reece Marshall star man for the beaten visitors.

Jamie Appleby whipped a great free-kick into the top corner for the opener. Ferryhill got on top but could not beat keeper Tom Orton, then they hit the post from a penalty. With all 11 players up for a corner, as they chased an equalised, Lion broke to double their lead.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars hit back from three goals down to secure a thrilling 3-3 Second Division draw at home to Bede Lodge SC.

Boar had the better opening to the game and were unlucky not to score when Shaun Corner turned and struck the upright after a scintillating run down the right wing from Karl Anderson.

But Lodge took command and stormed into a 3-0 lead, courtesy of Stuart Thompson’s brace and a goal from Daniel Mann, before Boar pulled one back on the stroke of half-time when Anderson blasted a Corner pass past keeper Andrew Neil.

Midway through the second half, a long Anderson throw-in into the box was flicked on by Philip Thompson and star man Corner knocked the ball home.

Boar were rewarded for their fighting spirit in the 89th minute when substitute Jordan Eley scored from close range following a Liam Lusk corner to finish the scoring at 3-3.

Michael Cooper was Bede’s top performer.

Burnside WMC extended their 100% record to nine wins out of nine with an epic 4-3 success at Langley Park.

An eventful game on a difficult pitch saw Burnside squeeze home, helped by two penalties in a very tight clash.

Ryan Green (2) and Tony Rutter struck for Langley, while star man Craig Ellison, Max Stoker, Elliot Cutts and Callum Munro all notched for the home side.

Jordan Wingfield stood out for Langley.

Chester Bar 18Seven did enough to pick up all three points at Ferryhill Community Hub.

Bar 18Seven bossed the first half but had to settle for a 2-1 interval lead. Ferryhill came much more into the game on the restart, but the visitors held on to win 3-2.

Aaron Walker bagged a brilliant hat-trick to steer Bar 18Seven home, with Neil Birbeck and Shane Snaith replying. Keeper Dean Halpin starred for Hub.

Leaders Durham County recorded their 14th win in 16 league matches, running out 3-0 winners away to Ushaw Moor Cricket Club.

Two-goal Alex Hird and sub Stanley Ogunsuyi hit the vital goals for County after an interval rocket from Boxer Brown, with Bradley Hird starring. Stephen Hancock shone in vain for Ushaw Moor, who had the better of the first-half chances.

High Handenhold Bird Inn avenged their Friday night cup final defeat by demolishing hosts Pelton Crown 4-0 in the league, thanks to Jonny Swift (3) and Andrew Smith. Connor Shaw was Pelton’s top man.

Sacriston Cricket Club claimed three precious points to boost their survival battle, climbing to third-bottom spot after beating fourth-bottom Chilton WMC 2-1.

Sacriston’s bright start could have brought goals, but they had to settle for two, a brilliant volley from James Thornton and a Graham Embleton strike.

Never-say-die Chilton had Nicky Pickford on target with a penalty to level at 1-1, but their strong finish to the game failed to rescue a point. Alex White shone for Chilton, with Anthony Ward best for Sacriston.

Brandon Sports Club moved further clear of the drop zone by edging home 3-2 against Waldridge Park, moving above their rivals into sixth place on goal difference.

Michael Fort’s endeavour gave the hosts an early lead, but Waldridge levelled immediately. Ollie Graham fired home from 25 yards to give Brandon a 2-1 lead, then Steven Parnaby netted from the penalty spot. Waldridge hit a late consolation.

Pelton RAOB moved three points clear at the top after an impressive 3-0 win at second-top Sedgefield St Edmund’s – and have two games in hand.

Buffs took a first-half lead and the game swung from end to end, with Pelton defending strongly before doubling their lead from the penalty spot in the 88th minute. Buffs added a killer third in the dying seconds.

Kevin Dixon, Matthew Smith and Jack Honour did the damage, with keeper Scott Cresswell starring. Kevin Hodgson was Saints’ top man.

Front-runners East Rainton cruised to a 5-0 victory over Quarrington Hill WMC in Division Four, with their 14th win in 15 games.

Star man Lee Gaunt’s double led the way, backed by strikes from Luke Elves, sub Ryan Shaw and Callum Fletcher.

Bottom side Witton Gilbert WMC secured only their third win of the campaign in their final match, triumphing 2-1 away to Durham Rangers.

David Calcutt and an own goal gave Witton a deserved 2-0 lead and although Rangers pulled one back, a good defensive performance, marshalled by star man Craig Wheeldon, gave Witton the three points.

Gateshead Last Orders edged home 4-3 in a thriller at Bearpark, who were playing their final league game of the season.

Callum Wooler, Carl Brown and John Blake hit the consolations.