Durham Sunday League: Jones hat-trick inspires six of the best as Lumley Snooker go top

Ryhope Foresters (yellow) take on Hartlepool Touchdown in the Over-40s League last week
Ryhope Foresters (yellow) take on Hartlepool Touchdown in the Over-40s League last week
Have your say

Lumley Snooker Club won the match of the day in Division Three to leapfrog hosts Dubmire WMC into pole position.

Star man Anthony Jones stole the show with a brilliant first-half hat-trick to inspire Lumley, who had keeper Daniel Fleming red-carded, to a 6-3 success at Dubmire.

Carl Kalugurama, finishing off Andrew Willcock’s corner, Dan Grant, from close range, and Mick Carroll, deflecting in a Kalugarama strike, made it six. Dubmire had two men sent off.

Hetton New Inn were rocked by a Pittington revival as the visitors hit back from two goals down to draw 2-2.

An early penalty give New Inn a strong start. Kieron Hartill was brought down in the box, and though player-manager David Jane’s chipped penalty was saved, the ball was spilled to Rhett Parnaby, who slotted home.

After the break, Hetton went 2-0 up when long ball into the box was fumbled by the keeper and Martin Welch stole in to score.

Pittington pressed and clawed a goal back after a mazy run, then they levelled from the penalty spot, with New Inn adamant that the foul had taken place three yards outside the box.

Star man Jonny Scott and Paul Harbisher bagged Pittington’s goals.

Keeper David Hartill shone for New Inn.

Sedgefield Social Club rose to fifth place with a close-fought 2-1 triumph on a bobbly pitch at bottom club Newton Hall Jovial Monk. Liam Oudnie levelled for Monk with a 25-yard cracker.

West Rainton are the new leaders in Division One after a 4-0 success at bottom club Whitehills.

Drop-outs reduced Whitehills to 12 players, who produced a battling performance in vain, with the failure to create chances, and the concession of weak goals, proving costly.

Two goals in each half, thanks to Mark Wild, Chris Brown, star man Andrew Hope and Daniel Summerbell, saw Rainton home. Stephen Fisher stood out for Whitehills, who only have eight league games left.

Ferryhill Celtic rose to third place with a fine 4-1 victory at Pelaw Grange Dogs.

The visitors were ahead early on, then a defensive calamity midway through the first half set up an easy finish for 2-0.

Pelaw improved but were caught on the break, with defensive errors leading to two more goals, before Dan Igo replied right on full-time.

Luke Thompson, Marco Linhart, Kevin Hodgson and Jason White all notched for Celti, with Daniel Mitton starring. David Stevenson stood out for Dogs.

Framwellgate Moor WMC maintained their good start to the season with a fifth win, 2-1 at New Brancepeth WMC, courtesy of Wayne Gardiner and Ian Fields.

Mark Hughes struck for Brancepeth, whose star man was keeper Dan Sowerby.

Durham County closed within a point of Second Division leaders Pelton Crown, with two games still in hand.

In the only game to get the go-ahead, County overwhelmed Ferryhill Community Hub 9-0, with Stanley Ogunsuyi firing a hat-trick.

Robson Brown (2), Bradley Hird (2), Damian Potts and Jack Hodgkiss also netted, with Chris Brown man of the match. Keeper Dean Halpin was outstanding for Hub.

Grange Villa left it late to settle a tight Fourth Division battle at Quarrington Hill WMC.

The game could easily have gone either way, with both sides creating good chances and Quarrington Hill even missing a penalty in the process, denied by a save from James Davidson.

Villa’s Fidele Doguie had a goal ruled out for offside, but, in the 88th minute, substitute Chris Howey broke clear before slotting the ball home to secure the visitors’ 1-0 win.

Leaders Lambton Lions United cruised to an 8-0 success at Witton Gilbert WMC.

Man of the match Jack Young bagged a hat-trick, with Liam Bain, Liam Murray, Lewis Mitchinson, Ross Mitchinson and an own goal making it eight. Alan Lambert starred in vain for Witton.

Gateshead Last Orders, thanks to a last-minute goal, moved up to third place as they edged a 2-1 victory at bottom club Durham Buffaloes Head, for whom Jay Stirk notched a 25-yarder which sailed over the keeper for the opener.

Steven Kyle hit both for Gateshead. Keeper Ryan Mundell shone for Buffs.

Newton Aycliffe Locomotion extended their lead in the Premier Division to five points with a hard-earned 2-1 victory over Sacriston WMC.

Aycliffe started brightly and were awarded an eighth-minute penalty when Jack Oliver was brought down. He duly dusted himself down and despatched the penalty.

Sacriston got level with a fine cross and finish before the break, but Locomotion won it with a last-gasp Will Kelly strike.

Chester 18Seven Bar strand a major surprise to knock Premier Division neighbours Ouston Cherry Tree out of the League Cup.

Ouston were behind early on when the ball bobbled around the box from a corner, and Allen Robson reacted quickest to smash home.

Ouston levelled quickly, however, with Ross Tottle rising to thunder a header in off the bar from a corner.

Ouston lost Jak Gordon to a nasty looking ankle injury, landing awkwardly on the 4G surface after challenging for a header. His replacement, Daniel Clarkson, headed wide with his first touch.

18Seven were 3-1 up by half-time, with Chad Brennan putting through his own goal and some awful defending allowing Damien Baston to make it three.

Ouston improved and dominated the second half, but their only reply was too little too late, Andrew Clarkson on target with a fine free-kick.

Stephen Wood starred for 18Seven, with Ryan Drummond best for Tree.

Houghton Wild Boar’s fine League Cup run ended with a lethargic 4-1 quarter-final defeat at home to Washington Cross Keys.

Boar struggled to get a foothold in the match from the start and Washington led 2-0 at the break.

They extended their advantage before Rob Thompson gave the hosts a glimmer of hope, sending a fine shot into the top corner of the net .

Jordan Eley went close to a second, but Keys sealed victory when keeper Sean Simpson, who pulled off a number of magnificent saves, was caught stranded when a sidefooted effort from 18 yards sneaked into the corner of the net.

Craig Crosby, Alan Wilson, Carlo Barrass and Luke Duffield netted Keys’ goals.

Midfielder David Banks starred for Boar, with Gary Allen best for Keys.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s pipped Ferryhill Dynamoes 3-2 after extra time, thanks to strikes from Glenn Donaldson, Joe Peel and Paul Wilkinson.

Vinny Gash and Jonathan Mason had put Celtic two up. Lee Butterworth and Chris Devine were the respective star men.

Burnside WMC demolished Fourth Division Durham Rangers in the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy third round

Star man Craig Ellison’s brace included a superb chip, with Max Stoker, Shaun Dixon, Grant Craig and a classy Elliot Cutts free-kick making it six. Keeper Daniel Peterkin shone for Rangers, who had chances and effort, but not end product.

Chester Garden Farm reached the quarter-finals, outgunning hosts Lumley 6-0.

Scott Howe made a 27th-minute breakthrough and it remained tight, despite Macauley Smith adding a second, until the closing stages when Ryan Johnson bagged a late treble and Howe made it six.

Sherburn Village outgunned visitors Houghton Town 5-2 to progress to the fourth round of the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Cup.

Man of the match James Ellis had a day to savour, hitting four goals, with Scott Arnott also on target. They led 5-0 before Town grabbed two late replies.

Bede Lodge SC had Jonathan Hodgson sent off as they exited the JD Taxis Guards Cup with a 3-0 defeat at Fourth Division East Rainton.

Keeper Jordan Craggs stood out for Second Division Bede, saving two penalties, though the first was converted from the rebound. Ollie Hotchkiss hit a 30-yarder for Rainton, Lee Gaunt also bagged a classy goal and Callum Fletcher added the other.