Durham Sunday League: Five-goal Burnside KO neighbours Wild Boar to clinch cup final date

Easington CIU (blue) take on Grindon Broadway in the Over-40s League last week. Picture by Tim Richardson
Easington CIU (blue) take on Grindon Broadway in the Over-40s League last week. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Burnside WMC have a cup final date to look forward to after outgunning neighbours Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars 5-0.

The all-Second Division Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy semi-final was tight until Burnside took full control with two goals early in the second half.

The only goal in a tight first half came on 15 minutes when a Burnside corner kick was knocked in at the near post.

A superb goal-line clearance from Boar’s Philip Thompson, 10 minutes later, prevented Burnside from doubling their lead.

Five minutes into the second half, the home side netted two goals in quick succession and another on the hour mark made it game over at 4-0.

Boar’s best goalscoring opportunity was created by their top performer, Shaun Corner, who made a great run and delivered a right-wing cross into the box, but there was no-one there to meet it.

On 75 minutes, a goalbound shot from Burnside was punched over the crossbar by Boar substitute Chris Cassidy, who received his marching orders for his misdemeanour.

Keeper Sean Simpson saved the resulting penalty, but Burnside netted a fifth goal in the dying moments to put the icing on their cake.

Callum Munro, two-goal Craig Ellison, man of the match Grant Craig and Max Stoker all got on the scoresheet for Burnside.

In the final, Burnside tackle Third Division club Chester Garden Farm at New Ferens Park on Friday, April 7 (7.30pm).

Ferryhill Dynamoes clinched their place in the JD Taxis Guards Cup final thanks to a dramatic 3-2 derby victory away to semi-final rivals Ferryhill Celtic.

In a feisty clash between two of the top sides in Division One, Celtic took the lead through a Jonny Agar penalty.

Dynamoes equalised with a Tom Olley thunderbolt, only for the home side to regain their advantage, courtesy of another Agar spot-kick.

The visitors, though, kept battling and levelled matters at 2-2 thanks to Vinny Gash’s strike, before Jonathon Mason grabbed a late winner with a coolly converted penalty.

Dynamoes will now meet Fourth Division high-fliers in the New Ferens Park final on Friday, April 21 (7.30pm).

Washington Cross Keys maintained their Division One promotion push with a thrilling 3-1 win over Houghton Chilton Lodge.

On a day when only eight of the scheduled fixtures got the green light, the highlight of a fine match between two energetic sides was a 30-yarder from Ross Docherty which sealed Keys’ success.

Star man Liam Young earlier notched a brace for the Washington outfit, while Chilton Lodge, whose marksman was Dan Thompson, remain in the survival dogfight. Ian Davidson was their man of the match.

Keys rose to third place with the win, two points behind second-top Ferryhill Celtic with 11 games played each. Front-runners West Rainton are eight points above Celtic but have played five matches more.

At the bottom, Lodge remain two points behind third-bottom Whitehills but have five games more to play.

Coxhoe Red Lion climbed a place to sixth thanks to a 2-1 victory at New Brancepeth WMC.

Chester Bar 18Seven climbed above Bede Lodge SC into second place in Division Two on the back of a 7-2 home win against High Handenhold Bird Inn.

Bar 18Seven had control for most of the match and crucially took their chances, while the bottom-placed visitors squandered their openings.

Stephen Wood stole the show with a well-taken hat-trick for Chester, backed by a brace from sub Jordan Stevens and efforts from man of the match Damien Baston and David Tyson.

Star man Jonny Swift grabbed one goal for Bird, but could have had five on another day, with Liam Errington snatching their other consolation.

Leaders Durham County edged a further point clear, stretching their advantage to 10 after a 6-1 drubbing of Pelton Crown.

The match was switched to County’s pitch as Pelton’s base was waterlogged, and the table-toppers capitalised with a strong showing, although Crown could point to costly defensive errors.

Man of the match Connor Shaw grabbed a late consolation for Crown.

Chilton WMC eased their Premier Division relegation fears with a hard-fought 1-0 win away to bottom club Sacriston WMC.

A solid all-round team performance saw Chilton edge home to only their fourth league triumph with a well-worked goal from David Gibson shortly after half-time.

Chilton’s man of the match was the ever-reliable Michael Searby., while Adam Wilson stood out for never-say-die Sacriston, who look doomed with just three points on the board from 15 matches, with five to go.

Dubmire extended their advantage at the top of Division Three to nine points thanks to a clinical 5-0 demolition of visitors Hetton New Inn.

Their 10th win in 13 league games, with only five more to play, took the Fence Houses side closer to their promotion ambitions.

Keith Finch stood out for New Inn.

Fifth-placed Bowburn, 12 points behind but with three games in hand, and Chester Garden Farm, who have a 100% league record with four wins out of four, look to be their biggest challengers.