Durham Sunday League: Cross Key step up promotion push with impressive victory over Ferryhill Dynamoes

Over-40s League action: Houghton Cricket Club (red) take on Willow Pond. Picture by Tim Richardson
Over-40s League action: Houghton Cricket Club (red) take on Willow Pond. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Washington Cross Keys ran out 3-0 visitors at home to Ferryhill Dynamoes in Division One.

Keys took the lead with a great goal, Adam Reay catching a magnificent volley on the edge of the box, sending it into the top right stanchion, despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

In the second half, goals from Dan Robson and Mick Alcock sealed victory for the home side, who had to battle on with 10 men after sub Campbell Dempsey saw red within five minutes of coming on.

Ferryhill were always in the game and hit the bar four times, including three outstanding saves, among a series of excellent stops, from man of the match Ian Brown.

Vinny Gash was Dynamoes’ top performer.

Front-runners West Rainton outgunned Pelaw Grange Dogs 4-1, with Kieran Bowes’ brace leading the way.

Andrew Ward and Mark Wild also scored, with Andrew Hope star man. David Stevenson stood out for Pelaw, with Brian Allen bagging the visitors’ consolation.

Whitehills produced one of their best performances of the season in their final home match, beating Coxhoe Red Lion 2-1.

The home side dominated the first half and took the lead with a Bradley Graham free-kick from 20 yards.

Whitehills started the second half sluggishly but managed to get the all-important second goal with a move that started in their own box and ending with Joe Whelan tapping in a shot-cum-cross from Chris Savage.

As both teams made subs, the game got scrappier, and allowed Coxhoe to come back into the game, pulling one back when Whitehills failed to clear a corner.

Whitehills had sub Adam Chipperfield sent off, but they held on for only a third league win. They have just one match left and sit third-bottom.

Ferryhill Celtic won 2-1 at Hilda Park to move into second place above neighbours Ferryhill Dynamoes.

Hilda changed formation with the introduction of new signing Dan Addison, and they produced an improved performance despite going 2-0 down as Celtic’s lovely counter-attacking football caused problems.

Man of the match Jason White made the breakthrough, and Luke Thompson doubled the lead.

Hilda responded well, but the missed chances proved costly. Addison, Jamie Gordon, star man Stephen Gregory and Connor Henderson all came up short until a sublime cross from Mason Jacques was met by the head of Sam Henderson to pull one back.

Keeper Lee Henderson and Ross Kind shone for Hilda.

Toothless Houghton Chilton Lodge went down 1-0 away to New Brancepeth WMC in their crucial relegation clash to remain in second-bottom spot.

Andrew MacPherson was Lodge’s top man, but dominant Brancepeth finally made their pressure tell when sub Luke Stephens cut in from the right and curling unstoppable 40-yard strike in off the post for the 75th-minute winner.

Shaun Gregory starred in only his second start.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars came from behind three times to secure a valuable Second Division point in an entertaining 3-3 draw at Ushaw Moor Cricket Club.

The hosts started strongly and a cracking 20-yarder was pushed onto the bar by Boar keeper Sean Simpson. Ushaw Moor, though, went ahead with a Jon Hodgson strike on 22 minutes.

Shaun Corner’s well-worked equaliser on the half hour levelled it up, but Anthony Bussey restored the home lead 10 minutes later.

The game ebbed and flowed before Boar equalised on 65 minutes, with Liam Lusk coolly converting a penalty after being felled in the box.

Five minutes later, Hodgson had Ushaw Moor back on top, but the visitors rescued a point in style on 78 minutes when the cricketers only half-cleared and Steve Tunstall smashed home an unstoppable strike into the top right corner of the net.

Boar hung on, surviving some scary moments in the final 10 minutes.

Burnside WMC eased to a 5-2 victory away to Chester Bar18Seven.

Burnside went into cruise control with three first-half goals from Grant Craig, Callum Munro and man of the match Craig Ellison.

Chester got a lift in the 47th minute when Burnside’s Lee Scott saw red, but further goals from Max Stoker and Munro sealed the win.

New signing Michael Lennon bagged both replies, with Stephen Wood their star man.

Langley Park ended a three-match losing run with a 3-1 victory at Bishop Middleham to go fourth.

Steven Cummings gave the visitors the lead, but Bishop’s Phil Best levelled before Ryan Green put Langley back in front with his first goal for the club.

Bishop fought back strongly, but a 30-yard thunderbolt from sub Cameron Wilson sealed the deal.

Tony Rutter shone for Langley.

Bede Lodge SC dominated throughout and ran out 5-0 winners at Ferryhill Community Hub.

Michael Kitching and Daniel Mann fired doubles, backed by an Ian Brown strike, with Sean Richardson the star man.

Sacriston Cricket Club and Ouston Cherry Tree shared the spoils in their bottom-four Premier Division clash.

The cricketers stormed 2-0 up on a very heavy pitch, thanks to goals from Jack Brennan and Anthony Ward.

Ouston’s keeper made some fine saves to keep his side in it, and they hit back to level with Chad Brennan’s header, from a Ryan Quinn centre, and an Andrew Clarkson penalty, after Micky Ross was fouled.

Ouston had another penalty late on, but Joe Thompson got down to pull off a brilliant, point-saving stop to deny Ross.

Houghton Town’s title push suffered a setback with only their second league defeat, 4-2 at Sherburn Village.

Town did not turn up and Sherburn were deserved winners.

Brandon Sports Club were soundly beaten for a second consecutive week as Sedgefield St Edmund’s continued their title bid.

Two recent cup meetings went to penalties, but there was no stopping Saints this time. Glen Donaldson and Steve Flockett, after a goalkeeping mistake, saw them 2-0 up.

Brandon hit the bar and post before sub Paul Wilkinson’s second-half brace steered Sedgefield home 4-0.

Jay Balfour starred for Brandon, with Jordan Hilder best for Saints.

East Rainton secured three huge points to consolidate second place in Division Four, winning 7-3 in a thriller at Grange Villa.

Rainton were ahead on 17 minutes, slotting home after keeper James Davidson dropped the ball from a corner.

Five minutes later, Andrew McGuinness conceded a penalty and it was 2-0, before Rainton added a third, despite Darryl Laws clearing the initial effort off the line.

Mark Greener got Villa onto the scoresheet following a great flick by Micky Gray, but Rainton restored their three-goal advantage before half-time.

Further goals on 60 and 69 minutes made it 6-1 before Ben Jefferson responded with a brilliant 30-yarder after taking down Davidson’s long kick.

Rainton added a seventh before star man Joe Murray tapped home a late Villa consolation.

Doubles from Andrew Shepherd and Callum Fletcher led Rainton home, backed by strikes from James Wood, Jon Grant and Ryan Shaw. Ollie Hotchkiss starred.

Leaders Lambton Lions maintained their seven-point advantage at the top thanks to a hard-earned 4-2 success away to Quarrington Hill WMC.

Ross Mitchinson, Lewis Mitchinson, Matthew Rowntree and sub Michael Hall all notched for Lions, with Kieran Dixon the top performer.

Gateshead Last Orders cruised to an 8-0 victory at bottom club Witton Gilbert WMC. Keeper Paul Reid shone for Witton.

Chester Garden Farm made it four wins out of four in their Third Division promotion push, thumping hosts Newton Hall Jovial Monk 7-0.

A solid performance brought a first-half Scott Howe hat-trick, and Dan Johnson made it four by half-time.

Howe hit a fifth before Macauley Smith and David Johnson rounded off a fine team display.

Monk went close when star man Matt Williams struck the post with a great long-range effort.

Dubmire WMC squeezed home 4-3 against Sedgefield SC to go six points clear.