‘Taking responsibility’, Donachie breaks silence on Newcastle Unitedexit

Have your say

WILLIE Donachie says he had no choice but to “take responsibility for his actions” – and resign from his post at Newcastle United, writes MILES STARFORTH.

Donachie reluctantly resigned as reserve-team manager last month.

It was alleged that he struck defender Remie Streete after the Magpies’ Under-21 defeat to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

Donachie has been suspended by Newcastle while the allegation was investigated.

The alleged incident was again brought into sharp focus last weekend by the actions of first-team manager Alan Pardew.

Pardew has been charged with improper conduct by the FA for aiming an apparent headbutt at Hull City’s David Meyler.

Donachie has broken his silence to tell of his sadness at the manner of his departure.

“What I try to teach the players is to be responsible for your actions – don’t try to blame anyone else,” Donachie said.

“And so I’m going to go somewhere else to try to be a great coach.

“All I’ve had is a lot of support and people wishing me well.

“I want to say thank you to the people of Newcastle who have been very supportive, especially all my neighbours and a lot of people at the club.

“The Newcastle people are tough people, but they’ve got big hearts.”

Glasgow-born Donachie – who coached at Everton and Oldham under Joe Royle, and also had a spell as manager in his own right at Millwall – joined Newcastle in December, 2009, initially as assistant Academy director.

“It’s a shame,” said the 62-year-old ex-Manchester City and Scotland star. “I’ve been here four years now.

“My wife and youngest son live here. We bought a house straight away.

“I’ve come to love the city and the area around it, but most importantly the people.

“Now I’ve got to go somewhere else, but that’s football. You can’t always stay in the one place. It’s a shame it’s happened like this.”

Speaking last month, Pardew said: “It was an unfortunate situation. We’ve lost Willie, who is a fantastic coach. That’s a blow to us.”

Pardew, meanwhile, has until 6pm today to respond to the FA’s charge following the incident at the KC Stadium.

The 52-year-old – handed a two-game touchline ban last season for pushing a linesman – has already been fined £100,000 and given a “formal warning” by Newcastle.