Swansea City 1 Newcastle Utd 0

Swansea winger Wayne Routledge holds off Newcastle's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
Swansea winger Wayne Routledge holds off Newcastle's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
Have your say

NEWCASTLE United suffered an agonising defeat at the Liberty Stadium this afternoon.

Swansea City substitute Luke Moore struck in the 86th minute to give the Capital One Cup winners a Premier League victory six days after their Wembley triumph.

It was tough on Alan Pardew’s side, who had dominated the second-half and carved out half a dozen decent chances.

Papiss Demba Cisse, Yohan Cabaye and Yoan Gouffran all went close for United, who had spent much of the first half on the back foot.

Swansea started strongly, and Steven Taylor made two goal-line clearances inside the first 10 minutes, with the second stopping Ashley Williams from scoring what looked a certain goal.

There was also strong claim for handball against Mathieu Debuchy, and Taylor was forced into another clearance in the 14th minute after Rob Elliot spilled a shot from Jonathan de Guzman.

Newcastle finally got hold of the ball at the midway point of the first-half – but they couldn’t test Michel Vorm.

And Cabaye and Cheik Tiote were booked before the break in a niggly end to the half which had promised much but delivered very little.

United had Elliot and Taylor to thank after the restart.

Elliot stopped a fierce shot from over-lapping right-back Angel Rangel, and Wayne Routledge’s follow-up effort was cleared by Taylor after the goalkeeper parried it into the air.

United’s first real chance of the match came as the hour-mark approached when Moussa Sissoko headed a Cabaye ball into the path of a previously well-marked Cisse.

But Cisse’s shot dipped a fraction of second too late and flew over Vorm’s crossbar. Gouffran also missed the target a couple of minutes later in a spell of Newcastle pressure.

Cabaye went closer still with a shot with struck the crossbar after Davide Santon rolled the ball to him 25 yards from goal.

At the other end, Taylor headed away a dangerous cross from Pablo Hernandez, and Sissoko forced a fine save from Vorm with a fierce drive from outside the box.

Debuchy wasn’t far away with another shot as a much-improved United took the game to their hosts, though Swansea substitute Ki Sung-Yeung forced a save from Elliot in the 79th minute.

Sissoko drilled an effort wide as the clock ticked down at the Liberty Stadium.

And they were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal four minutes from time as substitute Luke Moore kept his composure in the box to roll the ball past Elliot and claim all three points for Michael Laudrup’s side.

The result saw United drop two places to 15th in the Premier League table.

Twitter: @milesstarforth

SWANSEA CITY: Vorm; Rangel, Monk, Williams, Davies; Britton (Moore, 76), de Guzman; Dyer (Sung-Yueng, 60), Routledge, Hernandez (Tiendalli, 88); Michu. Subs not used: Tremmel, Bartley, Lamah, Shechter.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Elliot; Debuchy, S Taylor, Yanga-Mbiwa, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote (Shola Ameobi, 90); Gutierrez (Marveaux, 90), Sissoko, Gouffran; Cisse. Subs not used: Alnwick, Anita, Perch, Haidara, Obertan.

Goals: Moore 86

Bookings: Tiote 34, Cabaye 37

Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire)

Attendance: 20,405