Steve Bruce issues a plea to the Premier League as takeover talks continue

Steve Bruce says Newcastle United already have “targets in mind” ahead of the summer transfer window.

Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 12:44 pm
Steve Bruce.

Bruce, concerned at the impact the uncertainty is having on his squad and the club’s planning, has repeatedly demanded “clarity” on the situation.

Speaking ahead of tomorrow evening's Premier League home game against Tottenham Hotspur, United’s head coach said: “We all need one thing. We need clarity on the takeover. Is it happening or is it not? (That) is something I, and everybody out there, wants to know.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bruce and United’s hierarchy have having to make contingency plans in case Mike Ashley remains as owner.

And Bruce and Steve Nickson, the club’s head of recruitment, have identified more potential targets following the capture of 28-year-old goalkeeper Mark Gillespie, a free agent after leaving Motherwell, last month.

“We need that decision,” said Bruce, whose side is 13th in the Premier League ahead of the Tottenham game. “If so, then we’ll move from there. If not, it’s got to be ‘let’s plan as best we possibly can – and get on with the job at hand’.

"That is, to try and find the new Allan (Saint-Maximin), and try and keep us moving forward.

"We have one or two targets in mind, and try to be as businesslike as we possibly can. It’s what we’ve tried to do and will continue to do until we await this decision.”