Pardew still hopeful of striker signing

Sheffield Wednesday trialist Dejan Kelhar beats Newcastle's Emmanuel Riviere (left)
Sheffield Wednesday trialist Dejan Kelhar beats Newcastle's Emmanuel Riviere (left)
0
Have your say

ALAN Pardew is still hopeful that Newcastle United will sign another striker this summer.

But the Magpies look likely to miss out on Alexandre Lacazette, who is set to sign a new deal at Lyon, despite a fresh approach by Newcastle for the £16million-rated frontman.

The 23-year-old has indicated his willingness to stay at Lyon for another season.

Newcastle will almost certainly have to look elsewhere for a forward, and Pardew has not given up hope of the club luring former loanee Loic Remy back to St James’s Park.

“Looking at our squad, we’re still shy of a striker,” said Pardew, whose team struggled for goals in the latter months of last season.

“That would be ideal. If we could get one that suited the club, we’ll take that forward.

“I’m really pleased with the work we’ve done in the summer.

“It’s far removed from the team that finished last year, and rightly so. Hopefully, we’ve invested well.”

Pardew was asked about the breakdown of Remy’s £8m move from QPR to Liverpool, reportedly due to an issue with the medical.

“I didn’t expect that,” said Pardew. “I thought that deal was sealed and done, as I’m sure his agent and the player thought as well.

“I’m very surprised with that. Our medical team had no problem with Loic.”

Newcastle were among the clubs to have made Remy an offer before he decided to move to Liverpool.

Asked if he was now an “option”, Pardew added: “On anything, we just monitor as we go.”

Another option for Newcastle is Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who could be allowed to leave Borussia Dortmund this summer.